- Title: AU mediator urges swift trial for killers of Sudanese schoolchildren
- Date: 31st July 2019
- Summary: EL-OBEID, NORTH KORDOFAN STATE, SUDAN (JULY 29, 2019) (ORIGINALLY SHOT IN PORTRAIT) (VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) PATIENTS IN HOSPITAL / VARIOUS MEDICAL STAFF IN ROOM WITH BLOOD ON FLOOR / INJURED PERSON ON HOSPITAL FLOOR WITH LARGE BLOOD STAIN / DOCTORS AND PEOPLE IN HOSPITAL / BLOOD STAINS ON FLOOR / INJURED MAN ON DESK RECEIVING TREATMENT
- Embargoed: 14th August 2019 19:19
- Keywords: Sudan killing African Union El-Obeid AU schoolchildren military council
- Location: KHARTOUM AND EL-OBEID, NORTH KORDOFAN STATE, SUDAN
- City: KHARTOUM AND EL-OBEID, NORTH KORDOFAN STATE, SUDAN
- Country: Sudan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA002AQ41C93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
The African Union's mediator for Sudan on Wednesday (July 31) called for a speedy trial for those responsible for killing schoolchildren at a protest in the city of El-Obeid.
Six people, at least four of whom were children, were shot dead on Monday (July 29) when security forces broke up a student protest in the city, 400 km (250 miles) southwest of Khartoum, according to opposition-linked doctors. The teenagers were rallying against fuel and bread shortages, residents said.
The children's deaths came at a time of heightened tension between Sudan's military rulers and the main opposition coalition, and delayed already stalled talks over a transition deal following the overthrow of long-time ruler Omar al-Bashir.
Mohamed Hassan Lebatt also called on the ruling military council and opposition coalition to sign a constitutional declaration they have been wrangling over for weeks.
A joint committee from both sides was to meet later on Wednesday, when it is expected to complete its work on the document, he told a news conference. A date will be set for signing the constitutional declaration after the meeting, Lebatt said. The declaration may help ease a transition towards civilian rule, with Lebatt saying a sovereign council must be set up, with most of its members civilians.
(Production: Nadeen Ebrahim, El Tayeb Siddig, Hywel Davies)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: WARNING: Editors please note, this clip contains graphic material