- Title: Red Cross says it has delivered nearly 100 tons of aid to Venezuela
- Date: 9th August 2019
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (AUGUST 09, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS, TRACTOR TRAILERS HAULING CONTAINERS OF RED CROSS HUMANITARIAN AID ARRIVING AT WAREHOUSE VARIOUS, TRUCKS BACKING INTO WAREHOUSE VARIOUS, FORKLIFT MOVING PALLETS OF AID DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE VENEZUELAN RED CROSS, LUIS FARIAS, WITH JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE VENEZUELAN RED CROSS, LUIS FARIAS, SAYING: "The Red Cross always asks to not politicize aid, what the Red Cross guarantees for all is respect and understanding for the founding principles. And, when people see Red Cross volunteers they know that their only purpose is to help the most vulnerable, they have no other aim." FARIAS LISTENING TO JOURNALIST'S QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE VENEZUELAN RED CROSS, LUIS FARIAS, SAYING: "We'll be nearing about 100 tons of aid received by the Red Cross. This shipment comes from Panama, from our logistics center, the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent logistics center. It's important to note that up to now, the aid that has arrived has already been delivered to 16 states in the country (Venezuela), to 24 health centers, to two malaria centers." RED CROSS WORKERS IN WAREHOUSE WITH AID LABELS ON PACKAGES OF AID WORKERS IN WAREHOUSE VENEZUELAN RED CROSS LOGO AID INSIDE WAREHOUSE
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2019 23:35
- Keywords: Red Cross international aid assistance Venezuela economic crisis poverty inflation Nicolas Maduro
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Overseas Development Aid,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ARHZPDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A new shipment of humanitarian aid from the Red Cross intended to alleviate a dire economic crisis in Venezuela arrived in the once-prosperous, oil-rich country on Friday (August 09), a representative of the organization said.
This shipment brings the amount of aid that has arrived in Venezuela to nearly 100 tons according to the representative.
The first shipment of humanitarian aid arrived in Venezuela in April and has been trickling in since.
Venezuela was plunged into a political deadlock in January, when Juan Guaido, the leader of the opposition-controlled National Assembly invoked the country's constitution to assume an interim presidency, arguing that Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's 2018 re-election was illegitimate.
The United Nations estimates that a quarter of Venezuelans are in need of humanitarian assistance, with 1.9 million suffering from malnutrition and some 300,000 whose lives are at risk due to lack of medicine.
(Production: Carlos Carrillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None