- Title: Youth activists march for climate in Fridays for Future protest in Lausanne
- Date: 9th August 2019
- Summary: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND (AUGUST 9, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF YOUNG CLIMATE ACTIVISTS MARCHING AND CHANTING IN FRIDAYS FOR FUTURE DEMONSTRATION SIGN READING (French): "WE DON'T HAVE ANY MORE TIME TO TALK, LET'S CHANGE OR DISAPPEAR" (SOUNDBITE) (French) 29-YEAR-OLD DEMONSTRATOR, LISE TOURNEBOEUF, SAYING: "We are all united coming from different countries, and despite the fact it's holidays we are ready to sacrifice our time - and not only on Fridays - to have politics change, to raise awareness about what's happening but also about what is not happening, about actions which are not being taken, and about our will to change this system which is not functioning. We want to show there are people of all ages, of all nationalities, and even on holidays the crisis continues. We expect action from politicians." VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING AND CHANTING WITH BANNERS SIGN READING (French): "THE CLIMATE IS CHANGING, WHY AREN'T WE?" DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (English) DEMONSTRATOR FROM SWITZERLAND, STEVEN, READING FROM LAUSANNE YOUTH SUMMIT DECLARATION, SAYING: "The climate crisis knows no border and neither do we. Together, we will change this world for the better, for us and for all the generations to come." VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION (SOUNDBITE) (English) 21-YEAR-OLD CO-ORGANISER OF FRIDAYS FOR FUTURE YOUTH SUMMIT, KELMY MARTINEZ, SAYING: "We all have our own way we prefer about taking actions. We at Fridays for Future are doing it in a very positive and peaceful way, and of course there are some people that are already radical right now and I don't have to judge them, I don't have to judge the way they've decided to do it, because we are bringing the same message at the end, and I think what is the most important is that we all keep together fighting against climate change and fighting for biodiversity." VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATION
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2019 17:52
- Keywords: SMILE for Future summit young climate activists climate protest Fridays for Future march for climate action Greta Thunberg global warming environment Climate change youth climate summit
- Location: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- City: LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ARHZ807
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Summer holidays did not deter some 2,500 climate activists from gathering for a demonstration on Friday (August 9) in the Swiss city of Lausanne after a five-day youth climate summit aimed at elaborating a global strategy of cooperation to fight climate change.
Some 450 activists from 38 European countries brought their #FridaysforFuture movement to Lausanne, calling for swift action to reduce emissions including carbon dioxide linked to global warming, especially in Europe.
The young activists reached three points of consensus to present to European governments: to ensure climate justice and equity, to limit global warming to 1.5 degree Celsius and to listen to the best available science.
A co-organiser for the summit, 21-year-old Kelmy Martinez, said there had been some division among the participants regarding the demands and means of action the movement should endorse.
"Of course there are some people that are already radical right now and I don't have to judge them, I don't have to judge the way they've decided to do it, because we are bringing the same message at the end," he said.
The youth climate summit ended with a Fridays for Future demonstration in Lausanne, the school strike movement launched by campaigner Greta Thunberg and which has since spread to more than 100 countries.
Fridays for Future activists and organisers of the summit said they were now working to setting up the world's biggest strike for the New York climate summit set to begin on September 23.
(Production: Marina Depetris, Kathryn Carlson and Pascale Antonie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None