- Title: Hong Kong democracy protesters bring message to tourists at airport
- Date: 9th August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 9, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS PROTESTERS GATHERING INSIDE ARRIVAL HALL OF HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT PROTESTERS SITTING AND HOLDING SIGNS, CLAPPING THEIR HANDS PROTESTERS CHANTING (Cantonese): "Fighting! Hong Kong People, Fighting!" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS WALKING AND HOLDING AMERICAN FLAGS (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG PROTESTER, DEREK, SAYING: "Because, we want to raise the awareness, the international awareness about Hong Kong. Hong Kong is dangerous now so we hope the American government will help us to solve this situation. Thank you." LENNON MAN WITH POST ITS ON HIM STANDING AND HOLDING SIGN READING (English): "MEMO-IAN" PROTESTER HOLDING POST IT AND STICKING IT ONTO LENNON MAN, POST-IT READING (English): "free HK!" PROTESTER STICKING POST IT ON LENNON MAN LENNON MEN STANDING PROTESTERS GATHERING, CHANTING (English): "Carrie Lam! Resign!" BANNER READING (Cantonese and English): "LIBERATE HK, REVOLUTION NOW" / PROTESTERS CHANTING (English): "HONG KONG POLICE! SHAME ON YOU!" VARIOUS ARRIVING PASSENGERS WALKING BY PROTESTERS HANDING OUT LEAFLETS ARRIVING PASSENGER TAKING PAMPHLETS FROM PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM SINGAPORE, JANELLE LIN, SAYING: "Based on the news that I've gotten from my home country, it seems like they're protesting against the extradition bill which threatens the autonomy and independence of Hong Kong. As far as I'm concern, I'm not too sure what the colors represent but I think they're really organized here, they're even giving out pamphlets and stuff to educate foreigners who probably come in with no knowledge of what's happening." PASSENGERS WALKING PAST ROW OF PROTESTERS SHOUTING: (Cantonese) "Hong Kong People, fighting!" / PROTESTERS HOLDING OUT SIGNS AND LEAFLETS (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM UNITED KINGDOM, TISHA BARTHIPAN, SAYING: "No, I think, no I think they're quite good to be honest, because I think it raises awareness for other people as well, who are like too not sure about what's going on and things. And, it does actually make people do things and it is also a very peaceful protest, nothing bad is actually going on." PASSENGERS WALKING PAST PROTESTERS PASSENGER GETTING PAMPHLET FROM PROTESTERS UPON ARRIVING
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2019 12:48
- Keywords: Hong Kong China protest extradition law
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ARHVHON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Demonstrators crowded the arrivals hall at Hong Kong airport on Friday (August 9), handing out anti-government leaflets and waving banners in a dozen languages in a bid to raise awareness among visitors ahead of weekend rallies planned across the city.
About a thousand protesters, mostly young and wearing black T-shirts, held a sit-in and distributed flyers headlined "Dear travelers" above artwork depicting the protests since June that have plunged the financial hub into its biggest crisis since returning to China from British rule in 1997.
The crowd at the airport filled two chambers of the arrivals hall. Protesters sang "Do You Hear the People Sing?" from the musical Les Miserables and chanted: "Democracy now" and "Hong Kongers, add oil!" - a popular exhortation in Cantonese.
The airport demonstration came as the city's powerful property developers spoke out for the first time, urging calm after a dozen big companies warned in recent days that the unrest had dented earnings.
There was no sign of a police presence at the airport by late Friday afternoon.
(Production: Ronn Bautista, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None