- Title: Prosecutors to drop rape charges against Neymar
- Date: 9th August 2019
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (FILE - JUNE 13, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** BRAZILIAN SOCCER STAR, NEYMAR, ARRIVING TO CIVIL POLICE DEPARTMENT ON CRUTCHES LOGO FOR SAO PAULO CIVIL POLICE ON SIDE OF POLICE BUILDING EXTERIOR OF POLICE STATION NEYMAR LEAVING POLICE STATION AT NIGHT NEYMAR WALKING PAST MEDIA GATHERED
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2019 02:53
- Keywords: Neymar soccer rape charges prosecutors Brazil Sao Paulo
- Location: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- City: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002ARHWMRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazilian prosecutors are dropping a rape case against soccer star Neymar, they said on Thursday (August 08), likely bringing an end to the most serious of charges against the Paris St Germain striker.
The former Brazil captain was accused of raping a model in a Paris hotel room but he alleged the encounter was consensual and prosecutors could not find evidence to contradict that.
A judge must now sign off on the decision that had been recommended by police who investigated the accusations, but Neymar's family celebrated the announcement as the end of the matter.
The case received worldwide attention in May when a model accused the former Barcelona and Santos striker of raping her in a hotel room after the two met on social media.
Neymar denied the accusations and released private chats and lurid photos they had exchanged.
He still faces a separate inquiry into whether he committed a crime by posting intimate pictures online.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None