- Title: Prosecutors to drop rape charges against Neymar
- Date: 9th August 2019
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (AUGUST 08, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEWS CONFERENCE WITH OFFICIALS FROM PROSECUTORS OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) PROSECUTOR, FLAVIA MERLINI, SAYING: "Following an examination on the case, the Public Ministry reached a conclusion for the filing of the police investigation for the accused Neymar Junior, who was being investigated for rape as set out in the police report from the victim." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS OFFICIALS SPEAKING AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) PROSECUTOR, ESTEFANIA PAULIN, SAYING: "Analysing the police inquiry and following the investigations, we understood that there was an amorous relationship between the parties, albeit a fast one and one which was struck up digitally, as is common in current relationships. We understand that according to the statement from COPEVIDE (body on domestic and family violence), and together with a number of officials who have analysed these sort of relationships and who have concluded that although it was brief, domestic violence laws are applicable. That was the basis for our final analysis on the case."
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2019 02:53
- Keywords: Neymar soccer rape charges prosecutors Brazil Sao Paulo
- Location: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- City: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001ARHWMRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazilian prosecutors are dropping a rape case against soccer star Neymar, they said on Thursday (August 08), likely bringing an end to the most serious of charges against the Paris St Germain striker.
The former Brazil captain was accused of raping a model in a Paris hotel room but he alleged the encounter was consensual and prosecutors could not find evidence to contradict that.
A judge must now sign off on the decision that had been recommended by police who investigated the accusations, but Neymar's family celebrated the announcement as the end of the matter.
The case received worldwide attention in May when a model accused the former Barcelona and Santos striker of raping her in a hotel room after the two met on social media.
Neymar denied the accusations and released private chats and lurid photos they had exchanged.
He still faces a separate inquiry into whether he committed a crime by posting intimate pictures online.
(Production: Leonardo Benassatto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None