- Title: Rival abortion protesters rally in Buenos Aires as issue divides Argentina
- Date: 9th August 2019
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (AUGUST 8, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS AGAINST LEGALISED ABORTION OUTSIDE CONGRESS BUILDING PROTESTERS AGAINST LEGALISED ABORTION GATHERED PLACARD THAT READS (Spanish) "ALL LIFE IS IMPORTANT" PROTESTERS GATHERED
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2019 03:55
- Keywords: anniversary Argentina women abortion legalised abortion activists protest lawmakers Buenos Aires
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ARHXOP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:About 1,500 Argentines took to the streets of Buenos Aires on Thursday (August 8) to mark the first anniversary of a failed bill to legalise abortion in the country, with rival protests celebrating and denouncing the move.
In August 2018, Argentine senators rejected a bill to legalise abortion, pushing back against a groundswell of support from a surging abortion rights movement. Current Argentine law only permits abortions in cases of rape, or if the mother's health is at risk.
Outside the country's Congress, protesters gathered to celebrate restrictions to abortions in the country.
But for those in favour of legalised abortion, it was a day to step up their movement. Argentina's legalised abortion movement, backed by feminist groups galvanised in recent years to stop violence against women, argue that a bill on the issue would end unregulated abortions that government data show as the leading cause of maternal deaths.
There are at least 350,000 illegal abortions in Argentina every year, the Ministry of Health estimates, though international human rights groups say the number may be higher.
In May, lawmakers presented a new bill to Congress to legalise abortion.
(Production: Miguel Lo Bianco, Claudia Martini)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.