- Title: Israeli military kills four Palestinian militants on Gaza border
- Date: 10th August 2019
- Summary: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA (AUGUST 10, 2019) (REUTERS) ISRAELI ARMY CAMP NEAR BORDER AS SEEN FROM GAZA FENCE BETWEEN ISRAEL AND GAZA ARMY ZONE AS SEEN FROM GAZA ARMY JEEP DRIVING BY THE BORDER ISRAELI ARMY TANK AT BORDER FIELD BETWEEN GAZA AND ISRAEL JEEP DRIVING BY BORDER CITRUS PLANTED NEAR BORDER ISRAELI SIDE OF BORDER AS SEEN FROM GAZA ARMY CAR AT BORDER MORE OF BORDER VIEW
- Embargoed: 24th August 2019 08:19
- Keywords: Gaza exchange fire Israel army border militants weapons
- Location: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA/ ISRAEL BORDER WITH GAZA, ISRAEL
- City: KHAN YOUNIS, GAZA/ ISRAEL BORDER WITH GAZA, ISRAEL
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ARMWOXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli forces opened fire on four Palestinian militants near the Gaza border fence on Saturday (August 10), killing the men, the Israeli military said.
The men were armed with assault rifles, anti-tank missiles and hand grenades, one of which was hurled at the Israeli troops, the military said on Twitter. "The soldiers opened fire after one of the terrorists crossed the border and killed them."
There was no immediate comment from Palestinian officials in Gaza or from militant groups in the territory.
Gaza is ruled by the Islamist group Hamas, which has fought three wars with Israel over the past decade. Israel pulled its troops and settlers from the territory in 2005 but keeps the enclave under a blockade, citing security concerns. Tensions along the border are high with frequent fatalities.
(Production: Bassam Massoud, Mohammed Shanna, Roleen Tafakji, Lisa Giles-Keddie)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None