- Title: Palestinians mark Muslim holiday of Eid Al-Adha
- Date: 11th August 2019
- Summary: JERUSALEM (AUGUST 11, 2019) (REUTERS) MUSLIMS PRAYING MARKING EID AL ADHA AT AL AQSA COMPOUND IN JERUSALEM MUSLIMS FLOCKING TO COMPOUND MORE OF PRAYER BIRDS ON DOME OF THE ROCK DOME OF THE ROCK SEEN ABOVE WESTERN WALL VARIOUS OF JEWS PRAYING AT THE WESTERN WALL ON 'TISHA B'AV' DAY WHICH MARKS THE DESTRUCTION OF THE TWO JEWISH TEMPLES CAT/ JEWS PRAYING AT WESTERN WALL PIGEONS ON THE WALL VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SECURITY FORCES DEPLOYING IN THE AREA RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (AUGUST 11, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS ATTENDING EID PRAYER VARIOUS OF ABBAS LAYING WREATH AT GRAVE OF LATE PALESTINIAN LEADER YASSER ARAFAT PALESTINIAN FLAGS FLYING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) PALESTINIAN PRESIDENT MAHMOUD ABBAS, SAYING: "We tell everybody, we are here steadfast and patient, bonded with our land, we won't let anyone take us out and we won't let anyone occupy our place, we won't let anyone take our rights or destroy these rights, we will remain here to establish our independent state and its capital holy Jerusalem, no matter how long it takes." GAZA CITY, GAZA (AUGUST 11, 2019) (REUTERS) PALESTINIAN FLAG FLYING VARIOUS OF EID PRAYER WOMAN WITH DECORATED HEAD COVER WOMAN PRAYING PALESTINIAN FLAG/ VIEW OF SUN
- Embargoed: 25th August 2019 12:56
- Keywords: Palestinians religion Muslim holiday Eid Al-Adha prayers
- Location: JERUSALEM/ RAMALLAH, WEST BANK/ GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: JERUSALEM/ RAMALLAH, WEST BANK/ GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ARRWG1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Muslim worshippers flocked to Jerusalem's al-Aqsa compound on Sunday (August 11) to offer prayers during Eid al-Adha.
Tensions had mounted at the flashpoint complex early in the day as the holiday overlapped this year with the Jewish fast day of Tisha B'Av, amid calls by Jewish nationalist and religious politicians for Jews to visit the holy compound.
Israeli police fired sound grenades to disperse Palestinians during confrontations outside al-Aqsa mosque, witnesses said.
A Palestinian ambulance service said that at least 14 Palestinians were taken to hospitals for treatment. Israel's Kan public radio said four police officers were injured.
Revered by Jews as Temple Mount, the site of two biblical Jewish temples, and by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary, the area is one of the most sensitive sites in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Eid al-Adha commemorates God's testing of Abraham's faith by commanding him to sacrifice his son. Tisha B'Av marks the destruction of the two temples.
Eid prayers were also held in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip and in the West Bank city of Ramallah, where Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas blessed the crowd and vowed to establish an independent Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None