- Title: Iran says Britain might free oil tanker soon - IRNA
- Date: 13th August 2019
- Summary: AT SEA (FILE) (REUTERS) IRANIAN OIL TANKER GRACE 1 "GRACE 1" ON SIDE OF TANKER VARIOUS OF GRACE 1 AT SEA BRITISH POLICE PATROL BOAT GOING PAST GRACE 1 BRITISH POLICE PATROL BOAT NEXT TO GRACE 1 BRITISH NAVY SHIP LA LINEA DE LA CONCEPCION, SPAIN (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF VIEWS OF THE ROCK OF GIBRALTAR FROM SPAIN GIBRALTAR (FILE) (REUTERS) MOTORCYCLES GOING PAST GIBRALTAR COURTS GIBRALTAR COURT SERVICE SIGN ENTRANCE TO COURT VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF COURT VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF NO. 6 CONVENT PLACE, GIBRALTAR'S GOVERNMENT HEADQUARTERS VARIOUS OF IRANIAN OIL TANKER GRACE 1 AT SEA OFF THE COAST OF GIBRALTAR SUNBATHERS ON LA CALETA BEACH AND GRACE 1 IN THE BACKGROUND FISHING BOAT ON BEACH AND GRACE 1 AT SEA IN THE BACKGROUND SEAGULL ON BEACH GRACE 1 BEACHGOER WALKING ON THE BEACH AND GRACE 1 SEEN IN THE BACKGROUND SEAGULL FLYING PAST GRACE 1 AT SEA BRITISH PATROL DINGHY GOING PAST VARIOUS OF GRACE 1 BRITISH POLICE BOAT IN FOREGROUND AND GRACE 1 IN THE BACKGROUND BRITISH POLICE BOAT GRACE 1 BRITISH ROYAL NAVY VESSEL VARIOUS OF BRITISH ROYAL NAVY VESSEL AND GRACE 1 TANKER AT SEA LIGHTHOUSE MAN LOOKING STANDING ON PROMENADE LOOKING OUT TO SEA IN THE DIRECTION OF GRACE 1
- Embargoed: 27th August 2019 12:42
- Keywords: Iranian tanker Grace 1 Gibraltar Iran United Kingdom Spain
- Location: AT SEA, LA LINEA DE LA CONCEPCION, SPAIN & GIBRALTAR
- City: AT SEA, LA LINEA DE LA CONCEPCION, SPAIN & GIBRALTAR
- Country: Various
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001AS1XG07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iran said on Tuesday (August 13) that Britain might free its oil tanker Grace 1 soon in a maritime saga that has exacerbated frictions between Tehran and the West.
But a source for the government of British Mediterranean territory Gibraltar, where marines seized the tanker on July 4 on suspicion of violating European sanctions by taking oil to Syria, denied an Iranian report that could happen on Tuesday.
Tehran has denied its vessel was doing anything improper and in retaliation its Revolutionary Guards seized the British-flagged Stena Impero tanker in the Strait of Hormuz waterway on July 19 for alleged marine violations.
The deputy head of Iran's Ports and Maritime Organisation, Jalil Eslami, said in remarks reported by state news agency IRNA that Britain was thinking of freeing the Grace 1 following an exchange of documents.
Iran's semi-official Fars news agency, quoting unidentified Gibraltar authorities, said the tanker would be freed by Tuesday evening. A senior Gibraltarian government source said that was not correct, though earlier the territory had said it was seeking to de-escalate the situation.
The tankers' affair has added to worsening hostilities since Washington pulled out of an international agreement curbing Iran's nuclear program and reimposed economic sanctions.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None