- Title: Germans decide who's wurst is best in grilling championship
- Date: 4th August 2019
- Summary: FULDA, GERMANY (AUGUST 3, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BURGERS BEING GRILLED VARIOUS OF BURGERS BEING WRAPPED WOMAN SERVES BURGER BOY EATING BURGER FESTIVAL GROUNDS COUPLE SHOPPING FOR GRILL VARIOUS OF RIBS BEING GRILLED MEN EATING RIBS MAN'S T-SHIRT READING: "Tuttis BBQ" / GROUP DRINKING BEER VARIOUS OF SKEWERS BEING GRILLED VARIOUS OF GRILLMASTER RALF AHRENS FROM RUNNER-UP TEAM "DIE BRANDSTIFTER" ("THE ARSONIST") FROM MECKLENBURG GRILLING MEAT (SOUNDBITE) (German) GRILLMASTER RALF AHRENS FROM MECKLENBURG RUNNER-UP TEAM "DIE BRANDSTIFTER" ("THE ARSONIST") SAYING (WHEN ASKED IF THE TEAM WANTS TO WIN): "Not really. For us, our team's credo is good teamwork. We all want to have fun, we're not here to win, rather just get the best out of it and have a nice weekend. The jury, the enthusiasm, what comes out of it at the end - we'll take that too." VARIOUS OF AHRENS' TEAMMATE GRILLING (SOUNDBITE) (German) GRILLMASTER RALF AHRENS FROM MECKLENBURG RUNNER-UP TEAM "DIE BRANDSTIFTER" ("THE ARSONIST") SAYING (ON WHAT HE LIKES TO GRILL): "It's always different. It's just what I want at that time. There are times I make herb potatoes with just a bratwurst, but I do like a beef steak. That is just something really awesome, you've got to say. Sometimes, just a beef steak." VARIOUS OF MEAT BEING SLICED AND PLACED ON GRILL VARIOUS OF MEALS BEING PLACED INTO STYROFOAM TRAYS (SOUNDBITE) (German) HEAD GRILLMASTER FROM GERMANY'S RUNNER-UP TEAM "B.B.Q. SWAT", DANIEL NONNENMANN, SAYING: "Keep it simple and stupid' doesn't mean anything other than that we don't try to conjure up what doesn't belong. A pork neck is a pork neck, leave what's originally there and keep the aroma, the side dish is cauliflower, they still taste like cauliflower, and that's the key to it." VARIOUS OF JURY BEING SERVED DISHES PORK NECK WITH CAULIFLOWER JURY EATING VARIOUS OF JURY SCORING DISHES (SOUNDBITE) (German) JUROR, NICO NAUMANN, SAYING: "Of course, it's the altogether impression first, the smell, the main ingredient is very important, that the meat is beautifully tender, the taste comes out nicely. That is the main thing I value, but I got already two." VARIOUS OF JUDGES EATING (SOUNDBITE) (German) JUROR, NICO NAUMANN, SAYING: "Points are removed when classic mistakes happen with the cooking. Or if the taste simply isn't right. If it's boring. There are definitely half points removed for that." VARIOUS OF MEAT BEING GRILLED CHEF PREPARING DISHES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE TAKING DISHES AND EATING TABLE OF MEN EATING BURGERS
- Embargoed: 18th August 2019 09:37
- Keywords: BBQ championship grilling championship German sausage meat barbecue
- Location: FULDA, GERMANY
- City: FULDA, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AQSXD21
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Grillmasters from across Germany brought the heat to the central city of Fulda on Saturday (August 3) in a nationwide grilling and BBQ championship.
Nearly 50 teams faced off in the ultimate German roast put on by the official German Barbecue Association. Everything from juicy burgers, to steaks and kebab skewers were served up for jurors to taste to determine which team would become the "2019 German Grillmasters", with the team head becoming crowned the "Grill King".
Over 1,000 meat lovers also roamed between the competitors, shopping new products like grills and barbecue utensils, and devouring dishes from their stands during the weekend event.
(Production: Frank Simon, Barbara Woolsey)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None