- Title: Paris prepares for lead decontamination around fire ravaged Notre-Dame
- Date: 13th August 2019
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - APRIL 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NOTRE-DAME DURING FIRE CATHEDRAL SPIRE COLLAPSING DURING FIRE PASSERSBY WATCHING FIRE
- Embargoed: 27th August 2019 11:07
- Keywords: Notre Dame fire Paris lead contamination cleanup construction tourists
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA002AS1X3D3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Construction workers put up metal fences around Paris' Notre-Dame cathedral on Tuesday (August 13) in preparation for a lead decontamination operation in the aftermath of the blaze that ravaged the beloved monument.
The April 15 inferno melted hundreds of tonnes of lead in the cathedral's spire and roof. Unusually high levels of lead were later detected in the air and nearby buildings, including primary schools.
France's culture ministry is spearheading the lead cleanup in streets, while Paris City Hall has started decontamination operations in three schools in the surrounding zone.
The operation comes after French environmental protection group Robin des Bois filed a suit alleging lives were deliberately endangered after the Notre-Dame fire as authorities failed to protect people from lead that spewed into the area.
(Production: Thierry Chiarello, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None