- Title: Pilgrims in Belarus dip in spring water, hug stone in pursuit of wellbeing
- Date: 14th August 2019
- Summary: MOGILEV REGION, BELARUS (AUGUST 14, 2019) (REUTERS) PEOPLE HUGGING STONE, LEANING ON IT MAN WITH CLOSED EYES LEANING ON STONE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LEANING ON STONE PEOPLE WALKING IN SPRING WATER MAN GETTING INTO SPRING MAN CROSSING HIMSELF, DIPPING INTO WATER THREE TIMES, SAYING (Russian) "OH, IT FEELS GOOD TO SWIM" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING IN WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) PILGRIM, ANATOLY KORCHAGIN, SAYING: "I just took a swim, it feels like I got a burden off my body, just like that." CROSS REFLECTING IN SPRING WATER MOGILEV REGION, BELARUS (AUGUST 13, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WOMEN COVERING FACES AND BODIES WITH WHITE CLAY MOGILEV REGION, BELARUS (AUGUST 14, 2019) (REUTERS) WOMAN CROSSING HERSELF, DIPPING INTO SPRING, MAN IN BACKGROUND FILMING HER WITH MOBILE PHONE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) SPRING VISITOR (NO NAME GIVEN), SAYING: â€œWe come here each year on this day. People think it is good to take a swim on this day, the water is healing, and you will not get sick for the next year. There is also a belief, when you get ill you should put on the clothes you took a swim in and it helps with every illness." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE COLLECTING WATER FROM SPRING PEOPLE COLLECTING WATER FROM SPRING CROSS SEEN IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF CANDLES PEOPLE PRAYING NEAR CHURCH WOMEN LIGHTING CANDLES HANDS AROUND CANDLE FLAME VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LINING UP TO KISS ICON VARIOUS ENTRANCE TO SPRING
- Embargoed: 28th August 2019 16:06
- Keywords: holy spring religion orthodox people swim in holy spring church candle honey feast saviour of the honey feast
- Location: MOGILEV REGION, BELARUS
- City: MOGILEV REGION, BELARUS
- Country: Belarus
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AS6XSFT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Orthodox Christian pilgrims took a dip in the waters of the Golubaya Krynitsa spring 280 kilometres east of Minsk on Wednesday (August 14) to celebrate the Saviour of the Honey Feast holiday.
It is believed that on August 14 the waters of the spring gain healing powers for one day and as well as swimming, pilgrims take water home with them.
Some pilgrims also leaned on a stone at the site, an act believed to also bring well-being and good health, while many of those gathered lit candles and kissed a religious icon.
To mark the day a local priest held a mass and blessed the gathered believers and the water in the spring.
(Production: Vasiliy Fedosenko, Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None