- Title: Passing of Irish teen Nora "highly traumatic" for the family - lawyer
- Date: 14th August 2019
- Summary: SEREMBAN, SEMBILAN STATE, MALAYSIA (AUGUST 14, 2019) (REUTERS) LAWYER REPRESENTING QUOIRIN FAMILY, SANKARA N. NAIR, SPEAKING TO REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) LAWYER REPRESENTING QUOIRIN FAMILY, SANKARA N NAIR, SAYING: "Good day ladies and gentlemen. The body had to be identified before post-mortem, and so the parents were inside in mortuary and have identified, and then the post-mortem is about to begin inside." ENTRANCE TO THE FORENSIC MEDICAL DEPARTMENT OF THE TUANKU JA'AFAR HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (English) LAWYER REPRESENTING QUOIRIN FAMILY, SANKARA N NAIR, SAYING: "I wouldn't know how long the post-mortem report will come, and I do not know at this stage what is the next move by the family as I have not got any instructions." POLICE WALKING INTO HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (English) LAWYER REPRESENTING QUOIRIN FAMILY, SANKARA N NAIR, SAYING: "It's a very highly traumatic situation; it's a loss of a daughter and child, and naturally the traumatic levels are very high." VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF TUANKU JA'AFAR HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Malaysia) 62-YEAR-OLD LOCAL RESIDENT, AMIT YUSHAK, SAYING: "I would like to convey (my) condolence to the family of Nora Anne on her passing of unknown reason." AMIT JOGGING (SOUNDBITE) (English) 28-YEAR-OLD LOCAL RESIDENT, RAMYA DEWI SIVASUNDARAM, SAYING: "Actually I feel so curious and I feel so bad for her and also her family of course. They came here for holiday but then ended up in this way. So, yeah, I feel very bad and curious to know what actually happened (to her). I mean how can a personâ€¦ definitely should be a Malaysian, and how come they have a heart to do that for someone, a girl especially, and not even a Malaysian. I feel bad." SIVASUNDARAM LISTENING TO REPORTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) 28-YEAR-OLD LOCAL RESIDENT RAMYA DEWI SIVASUNDARAM, SAYING: "When found her in that way means like maybe they used her and dumped her in that place, you never know, I'm curious to know as well but I'm not sure." SIVASUNDARAM WALKING AWAY WITH FRIEND
- Embargoed: 28th August 2019 05:10
- Keywords: traumatic family Ireland Nora Anne Quoirin Seremban missing Malaysia girl body found
- Location: SEREMBAN, MALAYSIA
- City: SEREMBAN, MALAYSIA
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001AS6UIPZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The lawyer representing family of Irish teen Nora Anne Quoirin said on Wednesday (August 14) that her passing was 'highly traumatic', a day after the body of the 15-year-old was found in the forest reserve where she was last seen.
Malaysian authorities are expected to announce the post-mortem results later in the day to identify the cause of death.
Locals following the news closely conveyed their condolence to the family and said they were curious to know what had happened to Nora.
Authorities have begun a criminal investigation into the disappearance, according to Malaysia's deputy police chief, Mazlan Mansor on Tuesday (August 13), although an initial investigation revealed no evidence of criminal behaviour.
The body was found near a stream about 2.5 km (1.6 miles) from the resort where the Quoirin family was staying when she was reported missing on August 4.
(Production: Danny Lau, Jiraporn Kuhakan, Angie Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None