- Title: 'Light of the World' church members hold annual ceremony without jailed leader
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: GUADALAJARA, MEXICO (AUGUST 14, 2019) (REUTERS) 'LUZ DEL MUNDO' OR 'LIGHT OF THE WORLD' CHURCH FAITHFUL PRAYING IN WHITE OUTFITS WOMAN PRAYING PEOPLE AT EXTERIOR OF 'LIGHT OF THE WORLD' CHURCH BUILDING
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 22:48
- Keywords: human trafficking Luz del Mundo jail prison sect Light of the World sentence religion church Joaquin Garcia
- Location: GUADALAJARA, MEXICO
- City: GUADALAJARA, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBYQ87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: For the faithful of the "La Luz Del Mundo" (Light of the World) Church, every August 14 marks one of the church's most important events known as the Holy Supper.
Thousands of church followers gather in Guadalajara, Mexico - the church's international headquarters - for a service where faithful dress in white and men and women sit separately as they partake in communion with bread and wine.
This August 14, however, the faithful celebrated without their leader who is being held in California on charges including human trafficking, child pornography production and rape of a minor.
Light of the World leader Naason Joaquin Garcia, 50, was charged on June 04 after being arrested at Los Angeles International Airport the day prior.
The church has called the accusations unfounded.
According to U.S. prosecutors, Garcia and co-defendants committed a total of 26 felonies in southern California over a period of about four years.
Internet sites say the church has between 1 and 5 million followers worldwide in more than 50 countries including many followers in the United States.
The church's roots go back to the 1920s in Mexico, and adheres to "nontrinitarianism," rejecting a mainstream Christian doctrine of the Holy Trinity. It says it adheres to the earliest doctrines of the Christian church teachings.
(Production: Jose Luis Osorio, Roberto Ramirez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.