- Title: Japan's new emperor echoes father, expresses deep remorse over war
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: NARUHITO AND MASAKO BOWING AND GREETING GUEST AND WALKING OVER JAPANESE FLAG AND SIGN READING "NATIONAL MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR WAR DEAD" NARUHITO AND MASAKO STANDING AT ALTAR FOR 12 NOON MOMENT OF SILENCE / BELL SOUNDING MOMENT OF SILENCE ATTENDEES BOWING DURING MOMENT OF SILENCE NARUHITO AND MASAKO STANDING AT ALTAR / MEMORIAL CEREMONY IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE EMPEROR NARUHITO, SAYING (BACK FACING, STANDING NEXT TO EMPRESS MASAKO): "Looking back on the long period of post-war peace, reflecting on our past and bearing in mind the feelings of deep remorse, I earnestly hope that the ravages of war will never be repeated." ATTENDEES LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE EMPEROR NARUHITO, SAYING (BACK FACING, STANDING NEXT TO EMPRESS MASAKO): "Together with all of our people, I pay my heartfelt tribute to all those who lost their lives in the war and pray for world peace and the future development of our country." MEDIA JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE BOWING AT ALTAR AND WALKING TO PODIUM ATTENDEES SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE, SAYING: "We will never forget that the peace and prosperity we are able to enjoy now is built upon the precious sacrifices of the war dead." NARUHITO AND MASAKO SITTING AND LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER SHINZO ABE, SAYING: "We remember deeply the lessons of history in our hearts and have been committed to the peace and prosperity of the world. Never repeat the battle of war. This vow will never change whether in the Showa, Heisei, or Reiwa era." ATTENDEES SEATED (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) 77-YEAR-OLD SON OF WAR VICTIM, KOKICHI MORIMOTO, SAYING (BACK FACING): "There are many generations now who do not even know about the war, and that memory is also being weathered. But on this day every year in memory of the war dead, we hope that all citizens, while thanking the spirits, understand deeply in their hearts that today is a day to pray for peace. " JAPANESE FLAG / KOKICHI BOWING / MEMORIAL CEREMONY IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 09:54
- Keywords: World war 2 memorial ceremony Emperor Naruhito Empress Masako Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Tokyo Japan anniversary
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA003ASBUC7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japan's new emperor, Naruhito, expressed deep remorse over the country's wartime past and prayed for global peace on Thursday (August 15), echoing his father's words in remarks at an annual ceremony marking Tokyo's surrender in World War Two.
Naruhito, 59, became Japan's first monarch born after the war when he inherited the throne in May. His father, Akihito, stepped down in the first abdication by a Japanese emperor in two centuries.
"Together with all of our people, I pay my heartfelt tribute to all those who lost their lives in the war ... and pray for world peace and the further development of our country," Naruhito said, echoing his father's message a year ago.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe also spoke at the same ceremony, vowing that Japan will "never repeat the battle of war".
Abe has long sought to revise the constitution's pacifist Article 9 to further legitimise the military, but public opinion is divided.
(Production: Masashi Kato, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None