- Title: Global stocks routed, Hong Kong stock slumps amid ongoing protests
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SCREEN DISPLAYING HONG KONG STOCKS OPENING AT 24963.83 POINTS VARIOUS OF STAFF WORKING IN HONG KONG STOCK EXCHANGE ROOM VARIOUS OF ENTRANCE TO HONG KONG STOCK EXCHANGE HONG KONG SKYLINE / TRAFFIC MOVING ON STREET TRAFFIC MOVING ON STREET HONG KONG, CHINESE, AND HONG KONG EXCHANGE FLAGS FLYING EXTERIOR OF HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE SCREEN DISPLAYING STOCK INFORMATION
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 04:12
- Keywords: Hong Kong china markets exchange
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBUIIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Global stocks crumbled, and oil prices extended a punishing sell-off on Thursday (August 15) as an inverted U.S. bond yield curve intensified fears about a world recession.
Markets in Asia were already on the back-foot after all three major U.S. stock indexes closed down about 3% overnight, with the blue-chip Dow posting its biggest one-day point drop since October.
Activity in China has continued to cool despite a flurry of growth steps over the past year, raising questions over whether more rapid and forceful stimulus may be needed, even if it risks racking up more debt.
Worries also persisted over the protests that threatened to hit the island city's economy.
China's Hong Kong Liaison office said on Wednesday (August 14) that anti-government protesters were no different to "terrorists," as Trump said Chinese troops were moving to the border with Hong Kong and urged calm. Hong Kong's Hang Seng lost 0.8% in early trade.
(Production: Joyce Zhou, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None