- Title: Hong Kong airport increases security as normal services resume
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WITH LUGGAGE ENTERING HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT DEPARTURES TERMINAL/SECURITY STANDING PEOPLE WALKING BY BARRIERS AND SIGN ON TERMINAL WINDOWS READING (Chinese): "PASSENGER TRANSPORT TERMINAL 1" PEOPLE WALKING BY SECURITY GUARD VARIOUS OF PASSENGERS WALKING THROUGH SECURITY CHECK AT DEPARTURES TERMINAL ENTRANCE POLICE VANS PARKED ON ROADSIDE PASSENGERS WALKING BY SCREEN SHOWING FLIGHT DEPARTURE INFORMATION PASSENGERS LOOKING ON SCREEN SHOWING FLIGHT DEPARTURE INFORMATION (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG RESIDENT, AJ, SAYING: "It was smooth. It didn't take very long to get in. It took me about two minutes." VARIOUS OF WOMAN USING AUTOMATED CHECK-IN COMPUTER TRAVELLERS QUEUING AT CHECK-IN COUNTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) HONG KONG RESIDENT, AJ, SAYING: "They got a message that they shouldn't go overboard travelling, especially foreigners who want to get in and out of the city, and stuff like that." POLICE WALKING BY ON PATROL SECURITY GUARDS STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM AUSTRIA, CHARLIE, SAYING: "I was not nervous. I had a plan B, if I cannot go, then OK, plan B will work. It's OK. I was not nervous, I didn't have any fear of that, because I'm a tourist, I'm not afraid (of) that." TRAVELLERS WALKING BY/STAFF PUSHING LUGGAGE CARTS (SOUNDBITE) (English) TOURIST FROM AUSTRIA, CHARLIE, SAYING: "I was shocked, I saw the pictures in the news, and was I thinking, wow, what's going on there? There should be, uh, communication between the government and the people. But it looks like it's really shut down every communication, shut down and it's not good." VARIOUS OF TRAVELLERS IN DEPARTURES TERMINAL
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 04:36
- Keywords: Hong Kong tourists airport protest demonstratin security
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBUEKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong International Airport had a noticeable increase in security personnel on Thursday (August 15) morning, after days of flight cancellations and disruptions caused by anti-government protesters occupying the airport's departure and arrival halls.
Security personnel could be seen checking travellers' documents at the entrance to the airport's departure hall. Police and other security guards could be seen stationed at various parts of the terminal.
AJ, a Hong Kong resident, said that he sort of expected an increase in security checks after the protests, adding that "it was smooth" getting into the departures terminal.
Heightened security would remain at the city's international airport and the Hong Kong Airport Authority said late on Wednesday (August 14) an application for protests to be held in the terminal must be made in advance with a "Letter of No Objection" to be obtained from police.
Ten weeks of increasingly violent confrontations between police and protesters have plunged Hong Kong into its worst crisis since it reverted from British to Chinese rule in 1997.
(Production: James Redmayne, Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None