- Title: Chinese paramilitary conducts exercise in Shenzhen, near Hong Kong
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) MILITARY VEHICLES PARKED IN FRONT OF SHENZHEN BAY SPORTS CENTER CHINESE SOLDIERS WALKING, MILITARY VEHICLES PARKED VARIOUS OF CHINESE SOLDIERS FORMING A CONTINGENT AND MARCHING, SOME CARRYING SHIELDS
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 12:18
- Keywords: China Shenzhen military paramilitary vehicles
- Location: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBWDON
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of members of China's People's Armed Police (PAP) could be seen conducting exercises on Thursday (August 15) at a sports stadium in Shenzhen, across the border from Hong Kong which is facing a series of protests.
Men in fatigues could be seen in a stadium and shouts and whistles could be heard by a Reuters journalist. Parking spaces at the stadium were filled with more than 100 dark-painted paramilitary vehicles, including troop trucks, armoured personnel carriers, buses and jeeps. At least three were armoured wheel-loaders, and two vehicles carried water cannons.
Ten weeks of increasingly violent confrontations between police and protesters have plunged Hong Kong into its worst crisis since it reverted from British to Chinese rule in 1997.
On Wednesday (August 14), the U.S. State Department said it was deeply concerned about reports that Chinese police forces were gathering near the border with Hong Kong and urged the city's government to respect freedom of speech.
(Production: Thomas Peter, Pedja Stanisic, Sophia Soo, Travis Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None