- Title: Palestinian youths stab Israeli policeman, one youth shot dead
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: JERUSALEM (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) ISRAELI POLICE AT SITE WHERE PALESTINIANS STABBED OFFICER POLICE AT SITE NEAR ONE OF THE AL-AQSA COMPOUND GATES VARIOUS OF POLICEMEN LEAVING SITE POLICEMEN AT OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM AMBULANCE ARRIVING TO HOSPITAL PARAMEDICS TAKING INJURED POLICEMAN ON STRETCHER INTO HOSPITAL POLICEMEN AT HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF BORDER POLICEWOMAN PREVENTING PEOPLE FROM ENTERING PARAMEDICS LEAVING AREA WHERE TWO PALESTINIANS WERE SHOT POLICE VEHICLE LEAVING OLD CITY AMBULANCES INSIDE OLD CITY POLICE CAR PEOPLE STANDING OUTSIDE OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM AFTER ISRAELI POLICE CLOSED ALL GATES, DUE TO STABBING ATTACK
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 18:22
- Keywords: stabbing Jerusalem old city security
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Jerusalem
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBY1QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Two Palestinian youths stabbed an Israeli policeman in Jerusalem's Old City on Thursday (August 15) and were shot by officers, killing one of them, police said.
Video footage aired on Israeli television and circulating on social media showed two young men approaching a police officer at one of the walled Old City's gates, drawing knifes and stabbing him before his colleagues shoot them multiple times.
The Palestinian health ministry confirmed one of the two Palestinians had been killed. Police said they were both minors but did not give their exact age. The second assailant was taken to hospital, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said. The officer was moderately wounded, he said.
On Sunday, Palestinians and Israeli police clashed at a Jerusalem holy site nearby, revered by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary and the Jews Temple Mount.
The area is one of the most sensitive sites in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Peace talks broke down in 2014.
(Production: Eli Berlzon, Illan Rosenberg, Ammar Awad, Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None