- Title: Thousands protest for Kashmir outside London's Indian High Commission
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** MAN BEING ARRESTED AND YELLING (English) 'Free Kashmir, Free Kashmir, Free Kashmir' MAN RIPPING UP INDIAN FLAG, STOMPING ON TORN FLAG AND YELLING SIGN READING (English) 'BLACK DAY 15TH AUGUST WE STAND WITH KASHMIR' INDIA SUPPORTERS SEPARATED FROM KASHMIR SUPPORTERS AND CHANTING 'INDIA' AND 'MODI' (INDIAN PRIME MINISTER NARENDRA MODI) KASHMIR PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS AND WAVING FLAGS, SOME YELLING (English) 'FUCK MODI' MAN HOLDING SIGN READING (English) 'INDIA STOP KILLING IN KASHMIR' PROTESTERS PUNCHING AIR AND YELLING (English) 'MODI IS A TERRORIST, MODI IS A TERRORIST' VARIOUS OF INDIA SUPPORTERS ACROSS FROM KASHMIR PROTESTERS YELLING 'MODI, MODI' MAN YELLING (English) 'India is a terrorist, India is a terrorist'/ PAKISTAN FLAG INDIA SUPPORTERS BEHIND BARRICADE YELLING AND WAVING INDIA FLAGS KASHMIR PROTESTERS YELLING SIGN READING (English) 'MOODI IS KILLER' ELDERLY MAN TAKING PART IN KASHMIR PROTEST POLICE OFFICER ON HORSE BESIDE PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF KASHMIR PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS AND YELLING VARIOUS OF PRO-INDIA SUPPORTERS AND KASHMIR PROTESTERS SEPARATED BY POLICE HORSES, PROJECTILES THROWN BY BOTH SIDES PASSIONATE PROTESTER YELLING TOWARDS CAMERA KASHMIR PROTESTERS BEING PUSHED BACK BY POLICE OFFICERS
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 13:44
- Keywords: Kashmir protest London High Commission central London India Pakistan
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBXGEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE
Thousands of people, many waving Pakistani and Kashmiri flags, protested outside the Indian High Commission in London on Thursday (August 15) in support of the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir.
India's decision to revoke special status for its portion of Kashmir, along with a communications blackout and curbs on movement, caused fury in Pakistan, which cut trade and transport links and expelled India's envoy in retaliation.
In London, protesters carried banners saying "Kashmir is Burning", "Free Kashmir" and "Modi: Make Tea Not War", according to a Reuters reporter.
Police were keeping a small counter-demonstration apart from the main protest.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered an Independence Day speech on Thursday that spotlighted his decision to remove the special rights of Kashmir among the bold moves of his second term.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Lucy Marks)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None