- Title: Iran's Zarif accuses US of "piracy attempt" over tanker held in Gibraltar
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: AT SEA, OFF GIBRALTAR (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF GRACE 1 TANKER AT ANCHOR
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 17:12
- Keywords: Grace 1 tanker Iran Gibraltar United States Mohammad Javad Zarif
- Location: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR / SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITE
- City: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR / SOCIAL MEDIA WEBSITE
- Country: Gibraltar
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002ASBY0XZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iran's foreign minister accused the United States on Thursday (August 15) of attempted piracy in trying to prevent Gibraltar's release of an Iranian oil tanker.
Gibraltar decided on Thursday to free the Grace 1, detained off the British overseas territory six weeks ago. But it said the U.S. Department of Justice had applied to seize the tanker, held on suspicion of smuggling oil to Syria in breach of European Union sanctions.
"The US attempted to abuse the legal system to steal our property on the high seas," Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted. "This piracy attempt is indicative of Trump admin's contempt for the law."
The seizure of the Grace 1 triggered a row with Tehran, which accused Britain of piracy.
Two weeks later, on July 19, Iran's Revolutionary Guards seized the British-flagged Stena Impero in the Gulf. While both Britain and Iran deny planning to swap the vessels, there has been a widespread expectation that the British-flagged ship will not be freed until the Iranian tanker is released.
(Production: Marco Truillo, Roberto Esparza, Hywel Davies)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None