- Title: UK police separate Pakistani and Indian protesters at Kashmir demo
- Date: 15th August 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) PROTESTER POINTING FINGER AND YELLING, POLICE OFFICER STANDING IN FRONT POLICE PUSHING BACK PROTESTERS HOLDING PLACARD, READING (English): "STAND WITH HUMANITY, STAND WITH KASHMIR" POLICE ON HORSES PUSHING BACK PROTESTERS PROTESTERS WAVING PAKISTAN NATIONAL FLAG AND FLAG OF PAKISTANI-ADMINISTERED KASHMIR, POLICE LINKING ARMS IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS POLICE HOLDING BACK PROTESTERS MAN STANDING BETWEEN FLAGS FILMING PROTEST WITH PHONE VARIOUS OF POLICE ON HORSEBACK IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS POINTING TO PLACARD, READING (English): "INDIA IS TERRORIST" COUNTER PROTESTERS HOLDING UP INDIAN FLAG OUTSIDE INDIAN HIGH COMMISSION COUNTER PROTESTERS HOLDING UP PLACARDS (SOUNDBITE) (English) COUNTER PROTESTER, NO NAME GIVEN, SAYING: "India is known for its democracy for its progress, for its peaceful efforts like Mahatma Gandhi. Pakistan is known for Osama bin Laden, Pakistan is known for terrorists. Pakistan is known for... so that is the reason. You can see they are all behaving like Osama, we are all behaving like Ghandi." WOMAN HOLDING INDIAN FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (English) COUNTER PROTESTER, NO NAME GIVEN, SAYING: "They are trying to hit us, they are trying to... they are throwing eggs, they are throwing water bottles, they are throwing on us, you can see fruits and many things. And they are hitting ladies, you can see ladies and kids are there and they are trying to attack on them." PROTESTERS CHANTING (English) "WE WANT FREEDOM" AND HOLDING PLACARD READING (English): "STAND WITH HUMANITY, STAND WITH KASHMIR" PROTESTERS WAVING FLAGS AND PLACARDS, POLICE ON HORSEBACK LOOKING ON (SOUNDBITE) (English) COUNTER PROTESTER, NO NAME GIVEN, SAYING: "I'm absolutely delighted that finally after 70-odd years Kashmir is now free. The people can move inside or outside and the development of Kashmir will increase by the day, by the month, by the year. The future for Kashmir is very bright, people are very intelligent over there and they will soon learn to live peacefully with the rest of India." VARIOUS OF POLICE PUSHING BACK PROTESTERS POLICE OFFICERS STANDING IN LINE IN FRONT OF PROTESTERS PROTESTER IN UNION JACK BASEBALL HAT LOOKING AT POLICE OFFICER BROKEN EGG ON GROUND BROKEN EGGS AND WATER BOTTLES STREWN ON GROUND / MEMORIAL STONE TO FORMER INDIAN PRIME MINISTER JAWAHARLAL NEHRU COVERED IN EGG POLICE OFFICERS STANDING OUTSIDE INDIAN HIGH COMMISSION SANDAL ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 29th August 2019 17:24
- Keywords: counter protest pakistani protesters India-Pakistan relations Indian protesters scuffles Indian High Commission rally police Kashmir protest disputed territory
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASBY05J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British police separated thousands of protesters gathered in support of Kashmir from a small group of pro-India demonstrators outside the Indian High Commission in London on Thursday (August 15).
Police officers, some on horseback, pushed back against a crowd of thousands of people, many waving Pakistani and Kashmiri flags, as tempers flared over India's decision to revoke special status for its portion of disputed Kashmir.
Many of the London protesters had come to the capital from other English cities on specially chartered buses.
(Production: Alex Fraser, Kristian Brunse)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None