- Title: Ed Sheeran Ketchup bottle sells for Â£1500
- Date: 16th August 2019
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AUDIENCE AT AUCTION AUCTIONEER ANNOUNCING FINAL SALE OF BOTTLE FOR Â£1500, AUDIENCE CHEERING (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIRECTOR OF CORPORATE AND GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS AT KRAFT HEINZ, NIGEL DICKIE, WHEN ASKED ABOUT THE "USE BY" DATE, SAYING: "It'll be about 12 months and I suspect that not too many people actually want to open it. I think it will just remain closed forever. But it is perfectly enjoyable ketchup inside."
- Embargoed: 30th August 2019 14:36
- Keywords: Ed Sheeran Heinz Ketchup Tomato Ketchup Auction Christies
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / BERLIN, GERMANY / LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / BERLIN, GERMANY / LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA006ASBV3V1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Three limited-edition bottles of Heinz Tomato Ketchup based on the tattoos of British songwriter Ed Sheeran, a dedicated fan of the condiment, sold at auction in London on Thursday (August 15), with one going under the hammer for 1,500 pounds ($1,816).
Only 150 of the "Ed Sheeran X Heinz Tomato Ketchup, the Tattoo Edition" bottles, featuring a copy of Sheeran's own Heinz inking, will be available across the world.
The first three were sold for 1,050 pounds, 1,100 pounds and 1,500 pounds on Thursday.
Nigel Dickie, Kraft Heinz director of corporate affairs, said 150 of the bottles were made to mark Heinz 150th birthday.
He said he suspected not many people would open the bottles, but they had "perfectly enjoyable ketchup" inside.
Some 104 bottles will be the prizes in a free global draw, according to a statement linked on Sheeran's Instagram account, and the remainder would go to Sheeran and Heinz super fans and museums.
All money raised from the bottles will be donated to East Anglia's Children's Hospices, a charity nominated by Sheeran, and Rise against Hunger, which is supported by Heinz.
The 28-year-old star, who has sold more than 150 million records worldwide, is a long-time fan of the sauce and has the "Heinz Tomato Ketchup" label tattooed on his arm.
Earlier this year he teamed up with the brand to release "Tomato Edchup" and wrote and starred in a TV advert for the release. ($1 = 0.8260 pounds)
(Production: Gerry Mey, Paul Sandle, Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None