- Title: Chinese paramilitary continue to hold exercises near Hong Kong border
- Date: 16th August 2019
- Summary: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA (AUGUST 16, 2019) (REUTERS) PARAMILITARY SOLDIERS MARCHING NEXT TO SHENZHEN BAY SPORTS CENTRE STADIUM ARMOURED PARAMILITARY VEHICLES PARKED, PARAMILITARY SOLDIERS STANDING MEN IN T-SHIRTS CHARGING AT PARAMILITARY SOLDIERS HOLDING SHIELDS FOR DRILL/SOLDIERS STANDING IN ROWS CHINESE MILITARY VEHICLES PARKED, PARAMILITARY SOLDIERS WALKING PARAMILITARY SOLDIERS RUNNING FOR EXERCISE VIEW THROUGH STADIUM GLASS OF PARAMILITARY SOLDIERS HOLDING DRILL ON STADIUM FIELD PARAMILITARY SOLDIERS TRAINING OUTSIDE OF STADIUM SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA (AUGUST 15, 2019) (REUTERS) CHINESE MILITARY VEHICLES PARKED NEXT TO SHENZHEN BAY SPORTS CENTRE STADIUM
- Embargoed: 30th August 2019 06:20
- Keywords: military PLA People's Liberation Army China Chinese troops Hong Kong protests Hong Kong Shenzhen Chinese paramilitary
- Location: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASGUAFB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of members of China's People's Armed Police (PAP) continued to conduct exercises on Friday (August 16) at a sports stadium in Shenzhen.
Paramilitary soldiers could be seen marching and holding anti-riot drills outside of the Shenzhen Bay Sports Centre. Hundreds of armoured vehicles remained parked on surrounding streets.
The Shenzhen stadium sits across the water from Hong Kong's rural hinterland, near a bridge straddling the border.
Chinese state media have made several mentions of exercises in Shenzhen.
The U.S. State Department expressed concern on Wednesday (August 14) that the People's Armed Police could be deployed across the border in Hong Kong to break up protests wracking the city.
(Production: Martin Pollard, Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None