- Title: File of former Malaysian PM Najib, ahead of his second trial
- Date: 14th August 2019
- Summary: But on May 10, Najib conceded defeated. An opposition coalition led by Mahathir won the most seats in a stunning defeat for the National Front, which had ruled since Malaysia's independence from Britain nearly 60 years ago. KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA (FILE - MAY 10, 2018) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF NAJIB AND NATIONAL FRONT MEMBERS STANDING ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) NATIONAL FRONT CHAIRMAN, NAJIB RAZAK, SAYING: "I accept the verdict of the people." Najib resigned as National Front Chairman and UMNO President on May 12. KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA (FILE - MAY 12, 2018) (REUTERS) NAJIB SITTING IN UMNO NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Bahasa Malaysia) FORMER MALAYSIAN PRIME MINISTER, NAJIB RAZAK, SAYING: "I, as UMNO President and National Front Chairman), have decided to resign as UMNO President and National Front Chairman immediately." NAJIB HUGGING NEW UMNO PRESIDENT AHMAD ZAHID HAMIDI AND NEW DEPUTY PRESIDENT HISHAMMUDDIN HUSSEIN In an interview with Reuters on June 19, 2018, Najib denied knowledge of hundreds of millions of dollars that moved through his personal account from 1MDB, saying that he had appointed a director of SRC International, a former 1MDB unit, to manage it. He also defended his family's excesses including hundreds of designer handbags and jewellery. LANGKAWI, MALAYSIA (FILE - JUNE 19, 2018) (REUTERS) NAJIB WALKING INTO LIVING ROOM FOR AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW NAJIB SPEAKING TO REUTERS REPORTERS NAJIB SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) FORMER MALAYSIAN PRIME MINISTER, NAJIB RAZAK, RESPONDING TO QUESTION ABOUT MONEY TRANSFERS INTO HIS PERSONAL ACCOUNT: "I was not, didn't have any knowledge whatsoever of monies coming in. I would not have condoned and allowed it if I knew." NAJIB SPEAKING WITH HANDS ON HIS CHEST Originally set to begin on February 12, Najib's trial was postponed because of appeals over procedural matters raised in pre-trial hearings. Najib, and his wife Rosmah Mansor, were barred from leaving the country as Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad relaunched an investigation into 1MDB, a firm Najib founded. KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA (FILE - AUGUST 10, 2018) (REUTERS) NAJIB GETTING OUT OF VEHICLE AND WALKING INTO KUALA LUMPUR HIGH COURT KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA (FILE - OCTOBER 4, 2018) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NAJIB AND ROSMAH MANSOR WALKING OUT OF COURT ROSMAH SHAKING HANDS WITH PEOPLE OUTSIDE COURT MEDIA SURROUNDING CAR
- Embargoed: 28th August 2019 12:37
- Keywords: graft Barisan Nasional Najib Razak profile Mahathir former prime minister National Front UMNO Najib profile Najib file corruption Najib 1MDB Malaysia
- Location: KUALA LUMPUR / PORT KLANG AND GOMBAK, SELANGOR / PEKAN, PAHANG / PUTRAJAYA / JOHOR BAHRU / LANGKAWI, MALAYSIA
- City: KUALA LUMPUR / PORT KLANG AND GOMBAK, SELANGOR / PEKAN, PAHANG / PUTRAJAYA / JOHOR BAHRU / LANGKAWI, MALAYSIA
- Country: Malaysia
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA00GASHRUIT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Malaysia's former prime minister Najib Razak is due on Monday (August 19) to attend the second of his five trials on charges linked to a multi-billion-dollar scandal at state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
But there is a possibility that the trial will be postponed, as prosecutors have yet to complete questioning witnesses in Najib's first trial over offences linked to 1MDB's former subsidiary SRC International.
The SRC trial was abruptly adjourned on Wednesday due to Najib contracting an eye infection, his lawyer said.
Najib, charged with 25 counts of graft and money laundering, is accused of illegally receiving about 2.3 billion ringgit ($556 million) from 1MDB.
On April 3, 10 years to the day after he was sworn in as prime minister, Najib attended his first trial - one of many he faces over graft accusations. It was a stunning fall from grace for a leader who just a year ago was Malaysia's most powerful person.
Malaysians voted Najib out of power in May 2018, as disgust grew over corruption and rising living costs, and the investigations of 1Malaysia Development Berhad are seen as a test of Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's promises to root out corruption.
1MDB, founded by Najib in 2009, is the subject of corruption and money laundering investigations in at least six countries. The U.S. Department of Justice has said about $4.5 billion was misappropriated from the fund.
Najib was barred from leaving Malaysia and arrested within two months after the election. He faces a total of 42 criminal charges, most linked to 1MDB and other state entities.
He has consistently denied wrongdoing and says the charges against him are politically motivated.
The luxurious lifestyle of Najib and his family also came to light with the discovery of nearly $300 million worth of goods and cash at properties linked to him.
Najib's wife Rosmah Mansor, known for her designer handbags and jewellery, has also been charged with corruption. She has pleaded not guilty.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Yiming Woo, Phyllis Xu, Natasha Howitt)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None