- Title: Kitchen devices resembling bombs cause havoc for New York commuters
- Date: 16th August 2019
- Summary: NEW YORK, NEW YORK, USA (AUGUST 16, 2019) (REUTERS) WIDE SHOT OF POLICE TAPE, POLICE GATHERED MEN WITHOUT PROTECTIVE GEAR WALKING TO DEVICE, EXAMINING IT
- Embargoed: 30th August 2019 14:22
- Keywords: New York pressure cookers bomb scare New York scare
- Location: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, USA
- City: NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK, USA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA003ASGXDTZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Kitchen appliances resembling pressure cookers were left in two Manhattan locations on Friday (August 16), disrupting automobile and subway travel during the morning rush hour before police deemed them harmless and began investigating the possibility of a hoax.
The discoveries of the devices, which the city's chief counterterrorism officer called "rice cookers that could be mistaken for pressure cookers," raised concern because of the latter's previous use as makeshift bombs in New York and Boston.
Surveillance video shows a dark-haired man in his 20s or 30s with a shopping cart placing the devices at two locations inside the busy downtown Fulton Street subway station, said John Miller, the New York Police Department's deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism.
(Production: Scott Vaughan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None