- Title: Iranian oil tanker's name painted over as it remains off Gibraltar
- Date: 16th August 2019
- Summary: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR (AUGUST 16, 2019) (REUTERS) HULL OF IRANIAN OIL TANKER SITTING ANCHORED OFF GIBRALTAR COAST VARIOUS OF GRACE 1 NAME PAINTED OVER OIL TANKER AT SEA VARIOUS OF SMOKE COMING OUT FROM CHIMNEY NO SMOKING SIGNED PAINTED ON TANKER'S BRIDGE OIL TANKER AT SEA VARIOUS OF MAN TAKING T-SHIRT OFF AND JOGGING THOROUGH TANKER'S DECK SPANISH POLICE SHIP FOLLOWED BY A ROYAL NAVY SPEED BOAT NEAR OIL TANKER ROYAL NAVY SPEED BOAT SPANISH POLICE SHIP FOLLOWED BY A ROYAL NAVY SPEED BOAT NEAR OIL TANKER SPANISH POLICE SHIP NEXT TO OIL TANKER OIL TANKER AT SEA GRACE 1 NAME PAINTED OVER ON TANKER'S STERN VARIOUS OF TANKER WITH THE ANCHOR DOWN TANKER AT SEA BRITISH POLICE SPEED BOAT SAILING SMOKE COMING OUT TANKER'S CHIMNEY
- Embargoed: 30th August 2019 18:10
- Keywords: Iranian tanker Grace 1 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- Location: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR
- City: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR
- Country: Gibraltar
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASGXJD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:An Iranian tanker caught in the standoff between Tehran and the West shifted position on Friday (August 16) but its anchor was still down off Gibraltar and it was unclear if it was ready to set sail, a Reuters reporter said.
Gibraltar authorities could not be reached for comment.
On Friday, the name Grace 1 was seen painted over with black paint and Iranian state television quoted Jalil Eslami, deputy head of the country's Ports and Maritime Organisation saying:
"Based on the owner's request, the oil tanker Grace 1 will depart for the Mediterranean after being reflagged under the Iranian flag and renamed Adrian Darya."
The Grace 1 was seized by British Royal Marines at the western mouth of the Mediterranean on July 4 on suspicion of violating European Union sanctions by taking oil to Syria, a close ally of Iran.
Gibraltar lifted the detention order on Thursday but the vessel's fate was further complicated by the United States, which made a last-ditch legal appeal to hold it.
On Friday (August 16) evening, a Spanish police ship was seen in the area followed by a royal navy speed boat.
A man was also seen jogging on the vessel's deck during the afternoon.
(Production: Mariano Valladolid, Marco Trujillo, Miguel Gutierrez, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None