- Title: Berlin students skip school for climate change protest
- Date: 16th August 2019
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (AUGUST 16, 2019) (REUTERS) YOUTH PROTESTERS CHANTING VARIOUS OF BUBBLES BEING MADE IN THE AIR SIGNS READING (German): "We are young and need the world" AND "No coal" VARIOUS OF YOUTH PROTESTERS SIGN READING (German): "Climate change harms your health" YOUTH ON STAGE SIGN READING (English): "It's time to rebel to save the future" YOUTH WATCHING FROM PLATFORM SIGN READING (English): "Vegan for the climate" CROWD VARIOUS OF YOUTH PROTESTERS MARCHING (SOUNDBITE) (German) ORGANISER, MATHIAS KISSLING, SAYING: "They just have to be brave. They shouldn't always worry about economic lobbies, like for example the ESM - taking part in totally one-sided lobby politics. Rather, listen to the concerns of us young people and simply provide us with a safe future." YOUTH PROTESTERS (SOUNDBITE) (German) PROTESTER, INGE LECHNER, SAYING (ON CLIMATE ACTIVIST GRETA THUNBERG'S DECISION TO SAIL): "Energy is at least being talked about like, 'Well, what does it cost?' You wouldn't have done that before." VARIOUS OF YOUTH PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 30th August 2019 15:29
- Keywords: Greta Thunberg climate change activism Fridays for Future protest
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASGXK5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of students in Berlin skipped school on Friday (August 16) to attend the latest "Fridays for Future" protest, despite having only been back at school for nearly two weeks.
Youth activism has been under the spotlight since Greta Thunberg, 16, shot to prominence last year for starting the weekly protests on the cobblestones in front of Stockholm's Parliament House, holding a "school strike for climate" sign.
Thousands of students around the world have since copied her protest for climate action, and youth organisations have launched strikes involving students in more than 40 countries.
In Germany, the protests have particularly taken off, with a "Fridays for Future" summer congress in Dortmund and a thousand-strong protest in Hamburg taking place earlier this year.
(Production: Leon Malherbe, Tanja Daube, Barbara Woolsey)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None