- Title: Tens of thousands pro-China supporters gather to support authorities
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS IN HONG KONG CHANTING ON STAGE CHINESE NATIONAL FLAGS PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS ON STAGE VARIOUS OF PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS GATHERING AT TAMAR PARK PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS GATHERING AT CHANTING HONG KONG REGIONAL FLAG WITH CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS SINGING CHINESE NATIONAL SONG (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) A 46-YEAR-OLD PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTER, YI WEI, SAYING: "We cannot tolerate this kind of action any more. You can express your political opinion but you cannot put it into violence. You cannot affect other people's normal life. It's the bottom line. Everyone has a family and everyone has their own life. Children have their own life with school. Your parents need to work and support their family. So children should not have to pay the price of today for the next twenty or thirty years. It's not worth it." PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS CHANTING ON STAGE PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS GATHERING AT TAMAR PARK PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTER HOLDING BANNER VARIOUS OF PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTER HOLDING CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) A 52-YEAR-OLD PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTER, JINCHANG DAI, SAYING: "I have to come out because the situation has become violent. The whole of Hong Kong is in a mess now. They should not attack the government. It's wrong to be against China as a Chinese, right?" PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS POSING FOR PICTURES HONG KONG REGIONAL FLAG WITH CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS HOLDING HONG KONG REGIONAL FLAG AND CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS GATHERING AT TAMAR PARK HONG KONG REGIONAL FLAG WITH CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG PRO-BEIJING SUPPORTERS AT TAMAR PARK
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 13:25
- Keywords: Hong Kong China police pro-china Beijing protest
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Fundamental Rights/Civil Liberties,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLTW07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Tens of thousands of people in Hong Kong joined a rally on Saturday (August 17) to support authorities in its handling of the ongoing anti-government protests.
The increasingly violent confrontations have plunged one of Asia's financial capitals into its worst crisis for decades.
The unrest also presents one of the biggest challenges for Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.
Some supporters voiced their concern over the protests and said they cannot 'tolerate' the kind of actions from protesters.
The protests began as opposition to a now-suspended extradition bill but have since grown to include broader demands.
Demonstrators say they are fighting the erosion of the "one country, two systems" arrangement that enshrined some autonomy for Hong Kong since China took it back from Britain in 1997.
(Production: James Redmayne, Xihao Jiang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None