- Title: Police advance on Hong Kong protesters in Mong Kok
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE ADVANCING DOWN ROAD RIOT POLICE CLAMBERING OVER BARRICADES AS THEY ADVANCE MEDIA FOLLOWING BEHIND POLICE ADVANCE RIOT POLICE ADVANCING DOWN ROAD RIOT POLICE GATHERED ON STREET, PEOPLE FILMING THEM POLICE VEHICLES FLASHING PROTESTERS WEARING HELMETS AND GAS MASKS STANDING POLICE VEHICLES DRIVING DOWN ROAD AS MEDIA FOLLOW
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 12:48
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests protest protesters police standoff
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLU72F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong police marched down main roads in Mong Kok district on Saturday (August 17) night, pushing back protesters who initially gathered outside the police station.
Following an escalation in violence over the past few days, the rallies this weekend are a key test of whether the protest movement can retain the broad support that it has appeared to enjoy.
The peaceful turnout suggested it may, but all eyes were on how confrontational protests would become by nightfall. After the police advance in Mong Kok, protesters appeared to scatter.
The protests began as opposition to a now-suspended extradition bill but have since grown to include broader demands.
Demonstrators say they are fighting the erosion of the "one country, two systems" arrangement that enshrined some autonomy for Hong Kong since China took it back from Britain in 1997.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Arshad Satikin, Natasha Howitt)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None