- Title: EU's Juncker cuts holiday short for urgent surgery - statement
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA (FILE - JUNE 6, 2019) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF PRESIDENT OF EUROPEAN COMMISSION JEAN-CLAUDE JUNCKER POSING FOR PHOTOS, STANDING WITH POLISH PRESIDENT ANDRZEJ DUDA MESEBERG, GERMANY (FILE - JUNE 19, 2018) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL AND FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON STANDING WITH JUNCKER STRASBOURG, FRANCE (FILE - MARCH 11, 2019) (REUTERS) BRITISH PRIME MINISTER THERESA MAY ARRIVING AND BEING GREETED BY EUROPEAN COMMISSION PRESIDENT JEAN-CLAUDE SHARM EL SHEIKH, EGYPT (FILE - FEBRUARY 25, 2019) (REUTERS) BRITISH PRIME MINISTER, THERESA MAY, AND PRESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION, JEAN-CLAUDE JUNCKER POSING FOR MEDIA WHILE CAMERAS FLASH / MAY AND JUNCKER SITTING DOWN
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 17:35
- Keywords: EU European Union's executive Jean-Claude Juncker European Commission
- Location: LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA / MESEBERG, GERMANY / STRASBOURG, FRANCE / SHARM EL SHEIKH, EGYPT / BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLW5DZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The outgoing head of the European Union's executive, Jean-Claude Juncker of the European Commission, has cut short a holiday to undergo urgent surgery, his press team said in a statement on Saturday (August 17).
"Jean-Claude Juncker had to shorten his holiday in Austria for medical reasons. He was taken back to Luxembourg where he will undergo an urgent cholecystectomy (surgical removal of the gallbladder)," the team said of what is normally a routine medical procedure.
Juncker, a former Luxembourg premier whose health has been the subject of rife speculation among EU politicians, analysts and media for years, is due to step down on Oct. 31 as head of the Commission.
He will be replaced by German conservative Ursula von der Leyen, the first woman to lead the institution that proposes EU laws, polices the economies of all members of the bloc and negotiates trade deals around the world.
(Production: Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None