- Title: Fans excited for Coutinho to join Bayern on loan
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: MUNICH, GERMANY (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) PLAYERS
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 15:35
- Keywords: Philippe Coutinho Bayern Munich German Cup Bundesliga
- Location: MUNICH, GERMANY
- City: MUNICH, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLW1FJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Bayern Munich fans arrived to watch training on Saturday (August 17) looking optimistic after it was announced the team had acquired Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona for the remainder of the season.
The Brazil midfielder travelled with Barca to their opening La Liga game of the season against Athletic Bilbao on Friday but was left out of the matchday squad.
He was also not yet present at Bayern's training on Saturday, but fans were already getting geared up for his arrival.
Coutinho, 27, joined Barca from Liverpool in January 2018 for a club record fee of 120 million euros ($133 million) plus 45 million euros in variables.
The Brazilian played 76 games for the Catalans in all competitions, scoring 21 goals, but struggled to dovetail with his fellow attackers and has not had the intended impact on the team, despite the club winning last season's La Liga title.
Champions Bayern Munich are preparing for their toughest Bundesliga season in years, with title rivals Borussia Dortmund looking to avoid another mid-season slip-up and break the Bavarians' seven-year Bundesliga stranglehold.
Bayern, who last failed to win the title when Dortmund were champions in 2011-12, kicked off the season against Hertha Berlin on Friday (August 16) with a 2-2 draw, having bolstered their defence with World Cup-winning French duo Lucas Hernandez and Benjamin Pavard.
Overall, though, they have been less successful than Dortmund in the transfer market, having failed to sign several players of their choice, including Manchester City's Leroy Sane.
(Production: Marko Cubrilo, Barbara Woolsey)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None