- Title: Ringo Starr highlights Woodstock anniversary weekend
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: BETHEL WOODS, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 16, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FORMER BEATLE, RINGO STARR AND HIS ALL STAR BAND, PERFORMING ON STAGE AT THE WOODSTOCK ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND VENUE (3 SHOTS) VARIOUS OF BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS, PERFORMING ON STAGE (2 SHOTS) VARIOUS OF EDGAR WINTER PERFORMING ON STAGE (2 SHOTS)
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 10:57
- Keywords: Woodstock Festival Ringo Starr Bethel music Woodstock 50th Anniversary Bethel Woods Center for the Arts Yasgur barn New York
- Location: BETHEL WOODS, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: BETHEL WOODS, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLVSQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The much-anticipated Woodstock anniversary concert weekend continued in Bethel, New York, on Friday (August 16) at the family farm where half a million people had gathered in 1969.
Thousands of people have been camping since Thursday (August 15) at the Yasgur Family Farm for an annual three-day festival that tries to recreate the feel of Woodstock and which took on greater importance this year as it commemorated 50 years years since the landmark Woodstock music festival.
The Bethel Woods Center for the Arts is hosting a celebration that runs through Sunday (August 18) that includes fireworks, food and of course plenty of music, including from notable performers like former Beatle, Ringo Starr, and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame guitarist Carlos Santana.
One of the most iconic moments of the 1960s counterculture, Woodstock attracted several hundred thousand people who came to see 32 acts, starting with Richie Havens and ending with Jimi Hendrix's iconic rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner." Other performers included The Who, The Grateful Dead and Santana.
This year, Woodstock co-creator Michael Lang tried to organize a concert commemorating the anniversary. That event was canceled after organizers had to twice relocate the site and lost its headliners - including Miley Cyrus, Jay-Z and several of the original Woodstock 1969 performers.
(Production: Mana Rabiee)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.