- Title: Italy allows 27 minors off charity ship Open Arms
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: LAMPEDUSA, ITALY (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MINORS DISEMBARKING BOAT AND WALKING ALONG DOCK FINANCE POLICE BOAT DOCKED VARIOUS OF MINORS DISEMBARKING BOAT AND WALKING ALONG DOCK MINORS GETTING INTO MINI BUSES
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 18:15
- Keywords: Spanish rescue ship Open Arms Mediterranean migrants Libya Italian government Lampedusa
- Location: LAMPEDUSA, ITALY
- City: LAMPEDUSA, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASLVK1Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Minors who have been on board the Spanish charity ship Open Arms for over two weeks were finally transferred to the Italian island of Lampedusa on Saturday (August 17).
The Barcelona-based NGO Open Arms said that 27 minors had been authorized to leave the ship. That left 107 migrants on the ship.
Open Arms said the 16 days waiting for a port to disembark in had taken their toll on the migrants, with frequent fights breaking about among them and conditions on board deteriorating.
Italy's far-right Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has ordered his officials not to let all the migrants disembark, although on Saturday he made a partial concession, saying he would allow any children to leave the boat. He added that he had only agreed to this at the insistence of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
(Production: Oriana Boselli, Eleanor Biles)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None