- Title: Heavy downpours wreak havoc in Istanbul, flooding historic Grand Bazaar
- Date: 17th August 2019
- Summary: ISTANBUL, TURKEY (AUGUST 17, 2019) (REUTERS) MAN SWEEPING FLOOD WATER AT GRAND BAZAAR PEOPLE WALKING IN GRAND BAZAAR PEOPLE WALKING PAST PLASTIC BAGS FILLED WITH DEBRIS AND DAMAGED GOODS
- Embargoed: 31st August 2019 14:51
- Keywords: heavy downpour flooded underpass Grand Bazaar
- Location: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Floods,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA006ASLVIH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Strong rains in Istanbul on Saturday (August 17) flooded several neighborhoods, as well as the Grand Bazaar, while officials said one person was found dead in the city.
Rain started early in the day in parts of Istanbul and picked up pace around noon.
Footage from parts of the Grand Bazaar showed shopkeepers, ankle-deep in water, clearing the water out of their stores and the halls. It also showed water pouring out of a hole on the wall into the bazaar, as well as a manhole left open to drain the flood.
A homeless man was found dead in the Unkapani area on the European side of the city due to the flood, the spokesman for the Istanbul municipality said on Twitter.
The rains also flooded an underpass where several shops are located in the Eminonu neighborhood, it said. Footage on Turkish media showed hundreds of books and goods floating in the water as shopkeepers submerged up to their waists worked to clear the area.
AKOM said 114 kilograms of rain per square meter had fallen in the Fatih district, where the Grand Bazaar, as well as the Unkapani and Eminonu areas, are located.
(Production: Yusuf Gezer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None