- Title: Timeline of Hong Kong political movements
- Date: 16th August 2019
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (FILE - JUNE 18, 2016) (REUTERS) BOOKSELLER, LAM WING-KEE (CENTRE, IN CAP) WALKING WITH BANNER AT PROTEST IN SUPPORT OF LAM BANNER READING (Chinese) "SAY NO TO TYRANNY, PROTECT FREEDOM OF SPEECH, PROTECT PERSONAL FREEDOM" LAM SHAKING HANDS WITH MAN
- Embargoed: 30th August 2019 12:37
- Keywords: extradition China Occupy protests handover one country Hong Kong two systems Umbrella
- Location: HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE/BEIJING, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG/SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE/BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA009ASHI98L
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Ten weeks of confrontations between police and protesters have plunged Hong Kong into turmoil, and present the biggest popular challenge to Chinese President Xi Jinping since he came to power in 2012.
The protests began as opposition to a now-suspended bill that would have allowed suspects to be extradited to mainland China and have swelled into wider calls for democracy.
Hong Kong returned from British to Chinese rule in 1997 under a "one country, two systems" formula that promised wide-ranging freedoms denied to citizens in mainland China, but many in the city believe Beijing has been eroding those freedoms.
More mass demonstrations are expected through the weekend (August 17-18).
(Production: James Redmayne, Phyllis Xu, Travis Teo)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None