- Title: Families bury their loved ones after Afghan wedding blast kills 63
- Date: 18th August 2019
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 18, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF AFGHAN RELATIVES OF SUICIDE ATTACK VICTIMS CARRYING COFFINS AS THEY HEAD TOWARDS BURIAL SITE COFFINS VARIOUS OF RELATIVES PERFORMING FUNERAL PRAYERS RELATIVES CARRYING COFFINS FOR BURIAL (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) RELATIVE OF SUICIDE ATTACK VICTIMS, AHMAD KHAN, SAYING: "We have suffered a lot of pain. Our message to the world is that we are not going to leave our soil even if hundreds of suicide attacks happen. This is our soil, our birthplace and we want freedom. We want peace, not such brutal suicide attacks." RELATIVES GATHERED AROUND AS COFFINS ARE LINED UP NEXT TO GRAVES VARIOUS OF BODIES BEING LOWERED INTO GRAVES PEOPLE WATCHING VARIOUS OF EARTH BEING THROWN OVER GRAVE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED
- Embargoed: 1st September 2019 09:55
- Keywords: wedding blast wedding blast victims Afghanistan Afghan wedding blast suicide bomb groom funerals burial
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASQTVT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Families of the victims of a suicide blast at a wedding in Kabul laid their loved-ones to rest on Sunday (August 18), as the groom spoke out saying he had "lost hope" following the attack.
A suicide bomber killed 63 people and wounded 182 in an attack on a packed wedding reception in the Afghan capital on Saturday (August 17) night, the interior ministry said.
The attack came as the Taliban and the United States are trying to negotiate an agreement on the withdrawal of U.S. forces in exchange for a Taliban commitment on security and peace talks with Afghanistan's U.S.-backed government.
"I've lost hope. I lost my brother, my friends who came to join my wedding party," the groom, Mirias, told local media.
The Taliban denied responsibility and condemned the blast at a west Kabul wedding hall, in a minority Shi'ite neighbourhood, packed with people celebrating a marriage.
(Production: Aziz Mohammad, Sayed Hassib, Hameed Farzad, Natasha Howitt)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None