- Title: Hospital treats victims of deadly Afghan wedding blast
- Date: 18th August 2019
- Summary: HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT
- Embargoed: 1st September 2019 05:04
- Keywords: Afghan wedding blast wedding wedding blast blast. Afghan wedding hospital injured suicide blast wounded
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA003ASQTSNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A suicide bomber killed 63 people and wounded 182 in an attack on a wedding reception in the Afghan capital on Saturday (August 17) night, the interior ministry said.
The Taliban denied responsibility for the blast at a west Kabul wedding hall, in a minority Shi'ite neighbourhood, packed with people celebrating a marriage.
At a hospital in the capital on Sunday (August 18) morning, injured victims were crowded into corridors.
"It was very powerful, and the situation was terrible. I saw many children and people were hurt and many others have been martyred," said Tofan, a blast victim, from his hospital bed.
The attack came as the Taliban and the United States are trying to negotiate an agreement on the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan in exchange for a Taliban commitment on security and peace talks with the U.S.-backed government.
(Production: Aziz Mohammad, Hameed Farzad, Sayed Hassib, Natasha Howitt)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains computer game or software screenshots. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.