- Title: Israel could call a wide-scale operation in Gaza - Netanyahu
- Date: 18th August 2019
- Summary: JABALIYA, GAZA (AUGUST 18, 2019) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS MOURNERS HOLDING BODY OF MAN KILLED BY ISRAELI FORCES, NIECE OF MAN KILLED BY ISRAELI FORCES CRYING, FUNERAL PROCESSION
- Embargoed: 1st September 2019 18:15
- Keywords: Netanyahu Palestinians Israel funeral violence rocket shelling border Gaza
- Location: BEN GURION AND ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER, ISRAEL / JABALIYA, GAZA
- City: BEN GURION AND ISRAEL-GAZA BORDER, ISRAEL / JABALIYA, GAZA
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA003ASQVSJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday (August 18) he could call a wide-scale operation in Gaza.
Israeli forces opened fire at a group of Palestinian gunmen as they tried to cross the Gaza border, the military said on Sunday (August 18). Palestinian health officials said three of the men were killed.
"I wish to congratulate the IDF for eliminating five terrorists in the Gaza area yesterday. My mission is to keep peace and security and we take all the necessary actions to ensure that. If we need to, we will lead a broad campaign, regardless of the election. With or without the election, we will do what it takes for Israel's security," Netanyahu said while before departing for a visit to Ukraine.
Palestinian medics said they retrieved three bodies from the site and Gaza hospital officials said a fourth man was injured.
The incident happened overnight between Saturday and Sunday, shortly after three rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel, one of them landing in a town near the border, according to the Israeli military and police.
There was no immediate comment from any of the major armed groups in Gaza. No Israelis were hurt.
(Production: Fadi Shana, Mohammad Shana, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None