- Title: Grace 1 tanker raises Iranian flag, changes name to 'Adrian Darya-1'
- Date: 18th August 2019
- Summary: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR COAST (AUGUST 18, 2019) (REUTERS) OIL TANKER PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS GRACE 1 NOW RENAMED ADRIAN DARYA-1 IN WATER, IRANIAN FLAG FLYING FROM STERN OF TANKER VARIOUS OF IRANIAN FLAG FLYING FROM STERN, LETTERS ON SHIP READING (English): ''Adrian Darya-1'' VARIOUS OF TANKER IN WATER AND IRANIAN FLAG FLYING VARIOUS OF BOW OF TANKER VARIOUS OF ''ADRIAN DARYA-1'' WRITTEN ON SIDE OF TANKER NEAR BOW TANKER IN WATER ANCHOR ON TANKER ''ADRIAN DARYA-1'' WRITTEN ON TANKER TANKER IN WATER, BRIDGE OF TANKER TANKER IN WATER, BOAT PASSING BY VARIOUS OF NAVAL SHIP PASSING TANKER STERN OF TANKER BOW OF TANKER VARIOUS OF DOCKED NAVAL SHIP VARIOUS OF IRANIAN TANKER IN WATER DURING SUNRISE
- Embargoed: 1st September 2019 13:52
- Keywords: sanctions shipping route Adrian Darya 1 impouding Iranian tanker Grace 1 flag United Kingdom Gibraltar oil
- Location: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR COAST
- City: AT SEA OFF GIBRALTAR COAST
- Country: At Sea
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASQVJUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An Iranian tanker caught in a stand-off between Tehran and the West has raised an Iranian flag and has had a new name painted on its side, Reuters images of the stationary vessel filmed off Gibraltar showed on Sunday (August 18).
British Royal Marines seized the vessel in Gibraltar in July on suspicion that it was carrying oil to Syria, a close ally of Iran, in violation of European Union sanctions.
Video footage and photographs showed the tanker flying the red, green and white flag of Iran and bearing the new name of 'Adrian Darya-1' painted in white on its hull. Its previous name, 'Grace 1', had been painted over. The vessel's anchor was still down.
Gibraltar lifted a detention order on the vessel on Thursday but its fate was further complicated by the United States, which made a last-ditch legal appeal to hold it.
Gibraltar refused a U.S. request to seize the Iranian tanker Grace 1 on Sunday, saying it was unable to comply because it was bound by European Union law.
A federal court in Washington on Friday issued a warrant for the seizure of the tanker, the oil it carries and nearly $1 million. British Royal Marines had detained the vessel in Gibraltar in July on suspicion that it was carrying oil to Syria in violation of EU sanctions.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Guillermo Martinez Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None