- Title: Jordan car racers go head-to-head in drifting competition
- Date: 18th August 2019
- Summary: AMMAN, JORDAN (AUGUST 16, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CARS DRIFTING ALONG RACETRACK (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CONTESTANT, AHMAD JABALI, SAYING: "This sport runs through our blood as they say, it gives us an adrenaline rush and enables us to release pent up energy. Because of this we won't do dangerous (drifting) in the street. This provided us with the appropriate space to release pent up energy through the sport, at the right time and place." CAR / CONTESTANT SEEN IN PASSENGER SEAT CARS DRIVING OUT ONTO RACETRACK (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) CONTESTANT, AHMAD KAWASH, SAYING: "I have several cars which I converted for drift racing, including this one which is my car. What we do is we would get a standard car that can be used in the street, empty it out completely and rebuild it from scratch. We add the roll cage, the chair, seatbelts, hand-breaks, gear box and engine." CAR ENGINE CONTESTANT GETTING INTO CAR CONTESTANT PUTTING ON PROTECTIVE HEAD COVER CONTESTANT FIRING UP ENGINES VARIOUS OF CARS DRIFTING ALONG TRACK CAR MALFUNCTIONING AUDIENCE WATCHING CONTESTANT EXITING CAR VARIOUS OF CONTESTANT DRIVING CAR / CAR DRIFTING ALONG TRACK AUDIENCE CHEERING
- Embargoed: 1st September 2019 14:05
- Keywords: Amman King of Drift competition Racetracks Racing Cars Drift
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- City: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASQVGPH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Engines roared and rubber scorched along a racetrack in Amman, as car lovers competed in Jordan's annual drifting competition on Friday (August 16).
Twenty drivers navigated an obstacle-filled track, leaving a blazing trail of smoke in their wake, as they compete to become the country's next "King of Drift".
The "Car Park Drift" event, organised annually by Red Bull, aims to entertain car junkies while promoting safer racing habits.
"This sport runs through our blood as they say, it gives us an adrenaline rush and enables us to release pent up energy. Because of this we won't do dangerous (drifting) in the street," said competitor Ahmad Jabali.
The process of preparing for the race begins with building the right car.
Car mechanic and competitor, Ahmad Kawash, said he strips down a regular car to its bare structure, and rebuilds it to include the safety measures like roll cages, and special features like smoke emitters.
Judges evaluate the contestants based on different parameters including driving accuracy, the sound of the engine, the design of the cars and the smoke emitted throughout the drift.
The 2019 title of "Jordan's King of Drift" went to Anas El Helo, who will represent Jordan in an upcoming regional competition in Turkey.
(Production: Mohamed al-Ramahi, Bushra Shakhshir)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None