- Title: EU's Juncker to miss G7 summit over health issues, spokeswoman says
- Date: 19th August 2019
- Summary: LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA (FILE - JUNE 6, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PRESIDENT OF EUROPEAN COMMISSION JEAN-CLAUDE JUNCKER POSING FOR PHOTOS, STANDING WITH POLISH PRESIDENT ANDRZEJ DUDA MESEBERG, GERMANY (FILE - JUNE 19, 2018) (REUTERS) GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL AND FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON STANDING WITH JUNCKER
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2019 12:06
- Keywords: G7 Luxembourg European Commission illness Tusk Macron Juncker surgery operation Biarritz
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM / LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA / MESEBERG, GERMANY
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM / LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA / MESEBERG, GERMANY
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASVW85J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker will miss the G7 summit in France later this week following surgery to remove his gallbladder, a spokeswoman said on Monday (August 19).
The spokeswoman, Natasha Bertaud, said Juncker underwent successful surgery over the weekend but his doctors advised he should not travel.
She said Juncker would discuss G7 matters before the Saturday-Monday summit in Biarritz with the host, French President Emmanuel Macron, and European Council President Donald Tusk.
Juncker, a former Luxembourg premier, is due to step down on October 31 as head of the Commission.
(Production: Clement Rossignol)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None