- Title: China says Hong Kong doesn't need "suggestions" after Trump Tiananmen comments
- Date: 19th August 2019
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (AUGUST 19, 2019) (REUTERS) FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESPERSON GENG SHUANG WALKING IN FOR NEWS CONFERENCE REPORTERS SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESPERSON, GENG SHUANG, SAYING: "We have noted this. President Trump has previously said that Hong Kong is part of China and they must solve their problem by themselves. They don't need any suggestions. We hope the U.S. side can live up their word." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2019 10:36
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests trump Tiananmen crackdown 1989 China-U.S. relations foreign ministry
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASVTMX3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China's foreign ministry said on Monday (August 19) that Hong Kong doesn't need "suggestions" after U.S. President Donald Trump told media that a "Tiananmen"-style crackdown on Hong Kong's recent anti-government protests would harm trade talks between the two countries.
"President Trump has previously said that Hong Kong is part of China and they must solve their problem by themselves. They don't need any suggestions. We hope the U.S. side can live up their word," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told media in Beijing.
In recent weeks U.S. President Donald Trump has made a series of comments on Hong Kong via twitter, one of which urged Chinese President Xi Jinping to meet with protesters to diffuse weeks of tensions.
Hundreds of China's People's Armed Police (PAP) continue to be stationed at a sports stadium in Shenzhen that borders Hong Kong. The U.S. State Department has said it was "deeply concerned" about the movements, which have prompted worries that the troops could be used to break up protests.
(Wang Shubing, Irene Wang, Joseph Campbell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None