- Title: Papuan protesters attack police with rocks as chaos erupts
- Date: 19th August 2019
- Summary: MANOKWARI, WEST PAPUA PROVINCE, INDONESIA (AUGUST 19, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SMOKE RISING FROM BURNING TYRES BLOCKING ROAD WEST PAPUA POLICE CHIEF, HENRY RUDOLF NAHAK, TALKING TO PROTESTERS, URGING THEM TO STAY CALM AND NOT COMMIT ANARCHIC ACTIONS POLICE AND OTHERS RUNNING FOR COVER AS PROTESTERS ATTACK THEM WITH ROCKS PROTESTERS ON STREET, HALTED WATER CANON TRUCK POLICE AND OTHERS TAKING COVER BEHIND WATER CANON TRUCK / TEAR GAS BEING FIRED AT PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2019 08:44
- Keywords: tear gas rocks Indonesia water cannon Papua violence student detentions police protest
- Location: MANOKWARI, INDONESIA
- City: MANOKWARI, INDONESIA
- Country: Indonesia
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASVTKJR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Protesters in Indonesia's easternmost province of Papua clashed with police on Monday (August 19) after setting fire to tyres and torching a local parliament building following the recent detention of Papuan students in East Java.
West Papua police chief, Henry Rudolf Nahak, spoke to protesters in Manokwari, urging them to calm down and not commit any more anarchist actions, a request protesters ignored as they proceeded to throw rocks and chase police, forcing them to retaliate with tear gas.
The spark for the latest anger appears to have been the detention of scores of Papuan students in Surabaya, East Java, for bending a flagpole in front of a dormitory during the celebration of Indonesia's Independence Day on Aug. 17, according to Papuan activists.
A separatist movement has simmered for decades in Papua, while there have also been frequent complaints of rights abuses by Indonesian security forces.
(Production: Rahman Muchtar, Heru Asprihanto, Lion Schellerer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None