- Title: Canary Islands wildfire prompts 9,000 evacuations; reaches park
- Date: 19th August 2019
- Summary: GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN (AUGUST 19, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WILDFIRE BURNING VARIOUS OF PLANES DROPPING WATER OVER FIRES HELICOPTER DROPPING WATER OVER FIRE PLANE DROPPING WATER OVER FIRE WILDFIRE BURNING, SMOKE RISING FROM TOP OF HILL GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN (AUGUST 19, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF FIRE BURNING ON TOP OF HILLS APARTMENT BUILDING WITH FIRE BURNING ON HILL IN DISTANCE FIRE BURNING
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2019 23:48
- Keywords: Canary Islands wildfire 9 000 evacuations Gran Canaria out-of-control wildfire
- Location: GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN
- City: GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001ASVXL53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An out-of-control wildfire on Gran Canaria in Spain's Canary Islands kept spreading on Monday (August 19), and around 9,000 people have been evacuated from eight municipalities on the island, authorities said.
The blaze, which began on Saturday (August 17) near the town of Tejeda, is advancing on several fronts, propelled by a combination of high temperatures, strong winds and low humidity.
So far, the fire is affecting the mountainous central part of the island rather than coastal areas busy with tourists in the summer months.
Sixteen planes and helicopters as well as more than 1,000 firefighters are working to contain flames as high as 50 metres (164 feet), authorities said.
Around 6,000 hectares (23.17 square miles) have burned so far and the fire has entered the northwestern Tamadaba natural park, home to some of the island's oldest pine forests and considered a complicated area for firefighters to intervene.
The blaze marks the second time that Tejeda has been evacuated this month due to wildfire.
(Production: Borja SuÃ¡rez, Tanya Lezaic)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None