- Title: German defence minister underlines importance of German troops in Jordan
- Date: 19th August 2019
- Summary: AL AZRAQ MILITARY BASE, JORDAN (AUGUST 19, 2019) (REUTERS) KRAMP-KARRENBAUER WALKING WITH COMMANDER OF GERMAN TROOPS IN AL AZRAQ, COLONEL GERO VON FRITSCHEN VARIOUS OF KRAMP-KARRENBAUER VISITING BASE AND TALKING WITH VON FRITSCHEN AND OTHER MILITARY STAFF (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN DEFENCE MINISTER ANNEGRET KRAMP-KARRENBAUER, SAYING: "All participants made it very clear and this is my understanding I take back with me to Berlin that they really ask for this work, this mission to be continued as they all agree that IS (Islamic State) has lost territory, but is far from being defeated and that moreover the mission is of great importance for the stability of the region." KRAMP-KARRENBAUER TALKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN DEFENCE MINISTER ANNEGRET KRAMP-KARRENBAUER, SAYING: "They trust us, also in the very fragile interaction of all powers. All have made it clear that it would be a blow for the mission if Germany would backtrack. We have said we are part of an international coalition, a coalition which in the meantime consists of 75 states and four international organisations, which have all said that they will fight against terror. A terror, which we have seen in the last years and months doesn't make a difference where its victims come from, but which ruthlessly strikes. Therefore I feel a great responsibility to stand by other states in this fight." VARIOUS OF MILITARY AIRCRAFT KRAMP-KARRENBAUER WALKING ACROSS BASE WITH VON FRITSCHEN (SOUNDBITE) (German) COMMANDER OF GERMAN TROOPS IN AL AZRAQ, COLONEL GERO VON FRITSCHEN, SAYING: "In the end it is the decision of every state in which way and for how long it wants to provide troops for this coalition. The coalition has been very successful in the past and it still is. We now have to consolidate our military success, so that the IS, which still is a military opponent, doesn't regain strength." VARIOUS OF KARMP-KARRENBAUER VISITING BASE AND TALKING TO SOLDIERS
- Embargoed: 2nd September 2019 21:53
- Keywords: German defence minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer troops
- Location: AZRAQ, JORDAN
- City: AZRAQ, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002ASVXETJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:New German Defence Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer on Monday (August 19) underlined the importance of German troops based at the al Azraq base in northern Jordan being part of an U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State.
After talks with Jordan's Foreign Minister Ayman al-Safadi and King Abdullah II of Jordan, Kramp-Karrenbauer visited the army base, where she told reporters that she would take with her to Berlin the understanding that the German contribution in Jordan should be continued in order to fight the Islamic State, which had lost territory "but is far from being defeated". She also emphasised the importance of the mission for the stability of the region.
Colonel Gero von Fritschen, commander of the German troops at the military base in Jordan, said the coalition now needed to consolidate its military success against the Islamic State, "so that the IS, which still is a military opponent, doesn't regain strength."
On Tuesday Kramp-Karrenbauer is expected to visit German troops based in Iraq.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None