- Title: Sudan's sovereign council declares state of emergency in Port Sudan
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: PORT SUDAN, SUDAN (FILE - DECEMBER 2012) (REUTERS) MEMBER OF SUDANESE NAVAL FORCES HOLDING WEAPON MOUNTED TO A BOAT BOAT MOVING THROUGH WATER / SHIP IN DISTANCE WEAPON MOUNTED ON BOAT WEAPON IN FOREGROUND / SHIP IN DISTANCE FEET OF NAVAL OFFICER ON BOAT MEMBERS OF NAVAL FORCES MEMBER OF NAVAL FORCES STEERING SHIP SUDAN PORT
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 22:09
- Keywords: Sudan sovereign council state of emergency Port Sudan
- Location: KHARTOUM AND PORT SUDAN, RED SEA STATE, SUDAN
- City: KHARTOUM AND PORT SUDAN, RED SEA STATE, SUDAN
- Country: Sudan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA005ATPV87B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Sudan's newly-created sovereign council formally declared a state of emergency in the city of Port Sudan on Sunday (August 25), following tribal clashes that police say have killed at least 16 people.
The acting governor and the head of the national security service for the eastern Red Sea state, of which Port Sudan is the capital, were both dismissed, said Brigadier Altahir Abuhaja, spokesman for the sovereign council.
This comes at a delicate time for Sudan, following the signing of a power-sharing agreement earlier this month.
The joint military-civilian sovereign council was sworn in last week, as was Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, who is set to form a government later this week.
Clashes between members of the Beni Amer and Nuba tribes, which have flared up in the past, were re-ignited on Wednesday (August 21) and continued into Saturday morning (August 24), a police statement said.
Port Sudan is Sudan's main sea gateway and is used by South Sudan to export oil.
(Production: El Tayeb Siddig, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None