- Title: Hong Kong police again fire tear gas as protesters regroup
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: TSUEN WAN ROAD DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 25, 2019) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TEAR GAS SMOKE ERUPTING FROM POLICE AND PROTESTERS' STAND OFF VARIOUS POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 11:37
- Keywords: Hong Kong China tear gas gathering crowds protesters barricades
- Location: TSUEN WAN DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: TSUEN WAN DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATPSGNB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hong Kong police fired tear gas to try to break up brick-throwing anti-government protesters who marched in pouring rain on Sunday (August 25), after violent clashes a day earlier prompted police to fire tear gas for the first time in more than a week.
The Chinese-ruled city's MTR rail operator suspended some services to try to prevent people gathering but protesters made it to a sports stadium in the vast container port of Kwai Chung, from where they marched to nearby Tsuen Wan.
Police had warned earlier they would launch a "dispersal operation" and told people to leave. Water cannon were also sent in for the first time in recent protests.
(Production: Ebrahim Harris, Stefica Nicol Bikes, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None