- Title: Hong Kong police turn water cannon on protesters
- Date: 25th August 2019
- Summary: TSUEN WAN DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 25, 2019) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM WATER CANNON TRUCK / TRUCK FIRING WATER CANNON WATER CANNON TRUCK ADVANCING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS HOLDING BARRIER SHEETS AND RETREATING PROTESTERS RUNNING AWAY FROM RIOT POLICE / POLICE ARRESTING PROTESTER VARIOUS OF POLICE PRESSING PROTESTER TO GROUND POLICE CAR ADVANCING POLICE HOLDING PROTESTER DOWN POLICE LEADING PROTESTER AWAY PROTESTERS POINTING BATON TSUEN WAN DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA (AUGUST 25, 2019) (REUTERS) (DAY SHOTS) WATER CANNON TRUCK FIRING WATER AT BARRIER WATER CANNON WATER CANNON TRUCK ADVANCING POLICE OFFICERS FIRING TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS TEAR GAS BEING FIRED TOWARD LINE OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS HURLING OBJECTS FROM BEHIND BARRIER POLICE FIRING TEAR GAS FROM BEHIND POLICE LINE PROTESTERS TAKING COVER POLICE ADVANCING AND FIRING TEAR GAS / TEAR GAS GOING OFF AMONG PROTESTERS / PROTESTERS HURLING OBJECTS BACK POLICE RAISING RED FLAG READING (English/Mandarin): "DISPERSE OR WE FIRE" VARIOUS OF POLICE IN LASER PROTECTION GEAR STANDING AND LOOKING ON
- Embargoed: 8th September 2019 13:48
- Keywords: Hong Kong protests protesters water cannon police riot
- Location: TSUEN WAN DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: TSUEN WAN DISTRICT, HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ATPSI87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hong Kong police fired tear gas and water cannon amid running battles with brick-throwing protesters in driving rain on Sunday (August 25) after violent clashes a day earlier in which police fired tear gas for the first time in more than a week.
At least six petrol bombs were thrown by protesters, some of whom took off down narrow side streets. The water cannon, which had not been used in years of anti-government protests, could not follow.
Some protesters dug up bricks from the pavement and wheeled them away to use as ammunition, others sprayed detergent on the road to make it slippery for the lines of police. Clashes spread in many directions.
Police had warned earlier they would launch a "dispersal operation" and told people to leave. Hundreds remained long after dusk fell, discussing what to do next, surrounded by empty tear gas canisters, bricks, metal railings and other debris.
(Production: Xihao Jiang, Juarawee Kittisilpa)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2019. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None